What Cheap lowpower transaxles in australia?

hi,
You guys seem to be the people in the no on transaxles, i still havnt built my gt40 and now ive finished my other vehicles would like to go about a midmount again befor the gt40 build.
Ive been serching around wrecking yards and you pullits for sometime and was curious what transales are good. yes there is the big power units listed like the UN1 but havnt seen any of these. There is an abyss of 4cylnder audis, renaults some 6 cysnders etc etc.
I would like to use a Rover v8 or warm 2lt in build of a VW floor pan with pcase frame type chassis built on top (easy for rego).
I was wondering what trans would be anygood thats cheap?
Has anyone compiled a list of transaxles and their max HP?
Also so cars in particular can good transaxels be found in.
thanks
Jonesy

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jonesy,

You might want to check out how Specialty Autoworks is using various Subaru drive trains in their Porsche 356 replica offerings which, incidently, rest on a chassis of VW dimensions. With the horsepower these compact drivetrains provide in a package that should be fairly straight forward to convert to midengine format, I think this may be a viable alternative for you. God knows they have made a pile of them, so they should be about as reasonably priced as you can get. I doubt you'll get a Rover V8 hooked up to one very easily, but I think you can get equivalent power anyway.

Regards,
Lynn

BTW, if you order the Kennedy Engineered Products catalog, they have a strength ranking of the various transaxles that they make adapters for. The Porsche 901, 914 (901 set up for midengine) and the 915 are very viable alternatives that can be had fairly reasonably in the US anyway. Go here, KEP contact info

Last edited:
Back