New wanna be owner from Australia

G'day everyone,
My name is john, and hopefully in the next 6 months I'll be purchasing the first stage of a 40 (Chassis and body,) however with the state of RF I'm now unsure of where to look, and also what power options to go for.

Having grown up in the Adelaide hills region, handing is always upermost in my mind as well as real road drivability. However, living in WA (Western Australia,) long legs (drive ratios,) are also required.

The 40 will be road registered (Damn ADR's,) so I am left with more questions than answers at the moment.

Any sugestions, comments etc would be much apprecitaed (even if it is what posts I should look at

Safe driving all

PS the avatar is of my other pride and joy. A 2000 (or A1,) model ZX-12R.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
You're in good company, John.

For starters, the best advice any member of the forum would offer you is to get familiar with the 'search' tool - play around with it a bit, try different approaches as you're looking for information. If you haven't been lurking on the site for a while (like so many of us have), you may be well surprised as to how many different topics have been discussed -and solutions found- over the years. More likely, you'll be very surprised.

There are a number of Australian forum members, and no one better than they know what you're faced with when it comes to getting the car approved and licensed for road use.

If you're not able to find an answer using the forum search, don't be shy about asking for input from the rest of your friends here. This a good group and, as I've discovered first hand, are more than willing to help you locate a component if at all possible.

Good luck with the build, though please don't keep it to yourself. We want to see how your build is progressing just as much as you do!

Regards,

T.

Hi John
Shameless plug, but what the hell!
My sig indicates my interest in the matter.
Don't forget that there is another good option in Australia for GT40s.
That is GT40 Australia, who have been building 40s continuously longer than anyone else in the Southern Hemisphere (and longer than all but 1 company in the Northern). They started building them when Denis Bedford was in charge, but now Peter Ransom is the boss. They are a little shy but there are quite a few around, in Australia, USA, and mine in the UK. They also have a good record of cars registered and being used on track, which I would suggest is a good way of indicating that the cars are robust and reliable.
They are over in Brisbane. Check them out at
DRB Sportscars Australia
All the best

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
When in Australia -- do as Australians do, go with "DRB"!

Attachments

• Picture 312.jpg
    Picture 312.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 511

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Don't suppose I can argue with that one Chris, I've still got the Kiwi passport.
Now whats this, your'e importing an RCR all about, Tut Tut! Will you be altering that message soon? mmm. Anyway good to hear youv'e got another car at last.
Ross

Hi John I will ad mt bit to. I spent 18 months reserching my GT40 purchase including trips to three factories and visiting(onnoying) builders and turn key owners and picked DRB, never regretted the decision .

Darrell
DRB#46
LS1 G50

Hey John
I'm in Albany Wa and have DRB GT40 #64 which is in the build thread on this
forum. I have had my car for approx 10 weeks and it's flying along.
The DRB is a very good car which I have found very easy to assemble.
The chassis comes from the factory dead square and There are plenty of
DRB Builders in WA for support. The Corvette alloy front suspension is awesome and looks fantastic on the car.

Thanks everyone for your replies. To Lee, Chris and DAZPT you've started converting me. I'll be in contact with DRB shortly for some more info.
Dave, thanks for letting me know about locals building 40's, I honestly thought that I was the only silly bugger with this itch over here.

I guess there is only one other question for anyone who is interested, although it may seem silly...
Do I need to know what engine/transaxle I want to run before I order the chassis?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

John
You will have to check with your engineer and the WA licensing dept.
But as far as I know you will have to run the Ford 4.6 Quad cam motor.
In West Australia your motor has to be less than 5 years old when you
apply for a build permit.

Attachments

• 77338-Readyfordelivery170306038(Small)[1].jpg
    77338-Readyfordelivery170306038(Small)[1].jpg
    69 KB · Views: 448
Thanks very much for the info. I've recieved preliminary info from DRB including price list and some nice pics of current 40's:). I still have to find out from the department of roads and infrastructure whom to write to to apply for the permit etc, etc, etc...

Thanks for the starting help, hopefully I can push myself in the right direction.
Looks like I may also be able to try the 5.4L BOSS Motor:pepper:

John write your letter to these guys telling them the Kit name/motor intended
to use and other basic info like disc brakes and the like.Should take them
4-6 weeks to get back to you with a build ref number. You also need to source an engineer, If you haven't got one PM me and I'll give you details
of mine.

Send to
Technical section
21 Murray Road South
Welshpool 6106
WA.

Hi John

I hope you do build a BOSS motored car. I would be fascinated to see how a car would go with a BOSS 290 in it both for fit, looks and for performance. Does anyone know just out of interest where you would go to find one (aside from a wreckers - perhaps this is the only place to find one!)

Cheers

Jack

Brian Magee

Supporter
For anyone in England who might consider the Ford 4.6 quad cam engine, I have come across Pride Racing near Worcester who can supply them. They come complete with T45 gearbox (more suited to a Cobra). Phone 01299 253 496.

Brian.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi John, I'm not sure of how the ADR's are applied in WA, but please do not hesitate to PM me if you think I can help in any way. It appears that the Quad cam Boss motor is the easiest route to compliance. Of course I am biased towards the DRB product and have found Peter Ransom a most honest and helpful bloke. Quite unusual for an expat Kiwi. HeHe.

I know nothing about the Phoenix RF group other than what I have read on this Forum, as you can. If you want to look off shore the RCR product seems to be the one , but pay careful attention to exchange rates, shipping and customs costs and compliance.

Chris, there has to be a story behind that Avatar, care to enlighten us?

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, there's no doubt that I'll be asking yourself, as well as others on this forum for assistance prior to starting this project. The build itself will probably take some time as time / money come into play.

Back