GT40 newbie, hopefully

I've been aware of the GT40 for a long time, but never paid much atention too it, having been more interested in RX7 rotaries.

However a friend of mine saw one parked at our local airfield and took some pics. After a quick search on google, seems I found a great gt40 community. More digging and I found tornado who aren't to far from me.

I after going through the whole of Paul (london) tornado build thread, it looks pretty feasible, and a rewarding project. I remember my first rx7 had a bodykit on it and was jet black, I was constantly being stopped by people who thought it was a porsche or ferrari.

I'm going to pop up to tornado and I understand they are having a road day on the 4th november.

I have a friend who said waste of time, worth nothing when you finish it, throwing your money away, etc.

Anybody got any thoughts, especially from the UK.

Graham

Graham B said:
I have a friend who said waste of time, worth nothing when you finish it, throwing your money away, etc.

Anybody got any thoughts, especially from the UK.

Graham

Yes, Take your friend with you to Tornado. He'll see what you like about the cars.

Last edited:
I am really pleased with my car and have now done over 7000 miles since january - more than my daily driver Volvo. I say go for it although one thing to bear in mind is the car you build will only be worth the sum of the parts at most - once it is also on the road. Its worth joining one of the UK clubs and chatting with members who have done this before you. I enjoyed my build and I still have a list of modifications that I want to do to the car so it never really gets finished, more of a work in progress.

Thanks Paul, I have to say that your build thread is quite inspiring and the pics are great. From what pics I have seen of yours, the car looks stunning.

Have you had any problems on UK roads with ground clearance.
i.e. speed bumps etc.

Graham

A couple of issues yes - I have to drive out of my drive at an angle as the gutter is quite low at the edge of the road. Also coming off sleeping policemen needs to be slow as the front end will bottom out. You tend to get used to what the car can clear on the road.

Graham,

Agreed - Paul's car is stunning. I was lucky to see it in its last stages of construction just before SVA and many times since. It performs and handles really well. I recently puchased a Tornado already built and on the road. The car does ground occasionally - you have to be careful - but principally that is because my ride height settings are really too low for normal road use.Great for the track or smooth motorways but the roads around here where I live (Surrey) can be full of potholes and undulations!

Go along to Tornado and see for yourself - I doubt you'll be disappointed which is the main thing.

Good luck.

John

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Graham

Word to the wise

Give andy at Tornado a ring first to make an appointment - he is normally very busy and would probably neot be receptive if for instance he has just mixed a batch of resin when you arrive!

But other than that he is a first class guy and makes a good product. That comes from someone that had a car from another manufacturer and he still assists!

cheers
Ian

Back