5.4L Boss Engines

I posed this question in another thread, but thought I should re-direct it somewhere more appropriate. DRB in Australia have modified their chassis to acceot the Boss 260 and Boss 290 engines. These are 5.4L engines that produce as the name suggest 260 and 290kw of power respectively.

The reason DRB have done this is mostly to meet the emissions laws in Australia. As someone who lives in Victoria which is a bit hardcore emissions wise, putitng one of these engines in is a pretty good option. However, I wouldn't have a clue as to where to source one these engines besides wreckers. Is there anywhere else that people know of that you can source one of these BOSS 290 or BOss 260 engines?

JW

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Jack,

It would be worth talking to Peter Ransom at DRB / GT40 Australia about this - I have heard that he is starting a new batch of GT40's, and that one of them might be a "turnkey" with the 5.4L. Given that, he will have to solve the emissions scenario, and all other builders should be able to piggy-back on his solution.

My understanding is that to get an "automatic tick" for emissions, you need to run a stock motor with stock ECU & "equivalent CAT's". The trick is to bypass all the normal "body computer" inputs so that the thing will run, & I have heard that this has now been done. PR will be able to give you the details.

You will have heard a lot of theories about how to select a car - start with the HP & transmission / body accuracy / space frame vs mono, etc.

BUT in Oz, there is one overriding factor for rego - emissions. The best starting point is a good "certifying engineer" who knows the rules - in NSW, Forum member Trevor Booth is the man. He may be able to help with Vic (or recommend a local guy), but this has to be the starting point.

Half a day's worth of consulting fees for a top certifying engineer will be the best investment you can make - without my half day with Trevor at the outset of the project, I would still be trying to get it registered.

In terms of sourcing a 5.4, Trevor, the local engineer, or Peter Ransom will be the best source of info - note that you will need the engine plus its original ECU (and all the numbers must match so that it can be proven to have come from an Aus registered car - US crate engines are a big problem as they do not generally have engine numbers, or have ones which do not necessarily prove that they came from an acceptable vehicle).

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Cheers Peter

As per all your posts that I have read, plenty of good advice given. I have saved the post about a few scotches when things get frustrating on the build and, should I attempt a build as opposed to the turn key option, I will follow this advice religiously. Actually, I think I will just follow this advice regardless.

Anyway, re the 5.4L engines, I have been entertaining the idea of buying outright a FPV Ute and using that as a donor car. I wonder if the Tremec 6speed transmission would also fit? And those Brembos. And all the other little bits like winscreen wiper motors, power window wiring etc. Again, sounds like a questionf for Peter Ransom.

Cheers

Jack

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Jack,

Thanks - but don't go stocking up on single-malt scotches. By the time you are battered, bruised & bloodied, a cheapie or four will have the same effect ! If you add up the premium for good scotch vs cheapies over the build process, the cheapies will let you buy a nice set of wheels & tyres out of the savings !!

Keep us posted on your decision-making process.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Jack

Tremec will only fit if you do a Bill E conversion (search for his build under the giant), as the tremec doesn't house a diff....
If you could pull off a build like that then you rock rockonsmile
By the way Jack, I'm home all next week working on the car. PM me if you are interested in coming over.

Bill.

Back