RCR917 Teaser Pics....

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
RCR917 MORE Teaser Pics....

A few pics to show the early progress of the 917.....we are further along now but you guys cant have it all at once....hahaha

These are pics of the second chassis being built .....from original prints no less and many many hours of research.
The chassis dimensions are a match to the original 917 chassis...

Also the body prior to being final surface sanded and more moulds being done....

Spectacular shape and as close to real as you can get...based on panels from David Pipers 917 chassis number 10

well done Brad...(RCR body and mould magician)

Attachments

• Frame_01 (Small).JPG
    Frame_01 (Small).JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,585
  • Frame_02 (Small).JPG
    Frame_02 (Small).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,542
  • Frame_03 (Small).JPG
    Frame_03 (Small).JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,482
  • PIC00006 (Small).JPG
    PIC00006 (Small).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • PIC00007 (Small).JPG
    PIC00007 (Small).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,474
  • MVC_001F (Small).JPG
    MVC_001F (Small).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,571
Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Fran, that is magic. I love a "pure" spaceframe, they're a work of art. And in this case, you say, the same as the originals. Unfortunately spaceframe GT40's and T70's just aren't quite right but you've got to play the hand you're dealt. I'm looking forward to more pics of your progress.

Cheers

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Anorack question

Are all the pipes drilled before welding and then pressure filled to ensure no cracks?

Whatever the answer it looks amazing!

Ian

I was wondering if the tubing is mild steel or something a little more exotic, like 4130. I was also wondering why there are two identical threads on this subject.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The tubing is 4130 ....there is no reason to pressurise the tubes as this was only done to show cracks in the marginal original alloy chassis tubing...

Mark,
the reason for my double post is that some people dont always read each and every forum, as you pointed out in your reference to condensing the forum subgroups...and I would like to share the RCR917 progress with as many people as possible....

Last edited:

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Looking great! Set one aside for me (along with one of each of the GT40, T70, and P3).

Sooner or later I have to win the lottery!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
That chassis is a real work of art, Fran--and a departure from the monos you regularly produce. Incredible work! I tried to count all the triangulation and got lost 3 times. We're all sitting around with our tongues hanging out waiting for the next photos. Teaser.......right!

Doug

hey fran,
carl said he knows where you can get a real porsche engine for that 917. looks just like seinfelds i saw in his shop. simply awsome car. keep it up.
wes rockonsmile

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Fran, is the rear/frame set up for a SBF or a porsche engine? As I recall, the 917 engine was a boxer 12 of somewhat larger displacement than the 911 engine engine of the day (2.2ltr)...?? I can't remember how the horizontal fan was driven but probably not too difficult to replicate this somehow on a 3.0sc engine as a starting point. Related, it seems to me the fuel was supplied via tall stack mechanical FI - that'll be expensive to replicate. Webers or PMOs would probably look pretty similar and be relatively inexpensive.

Your 917 body looks great. Just watched "LeMans" a couple nights ago (for about the 10th time!) - lots of great 917 action in there as you probably know.

Incidentally, what's the $ for your 917 roller?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Magnificent work. I shall follow progress with great interest. One question Fran. Can the car be made road legal for the UK? I have heard that your feet end up forward of the front axle line which I believe would fail SVA.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The 917 engine(912 designation) has a bevel gear driven fan, this gear is located half way along the crankshaft.
This location also serves as the input drive to the transaxle which has a shaft running back under the crank centerline to the transaxle.....this was done to reduce the torsional load on the long crankshaft.

Our chassis will obviously take a 12cyl engine and transaxle should you happed to have a spare 350-500k usd to buy one.....ouch.

We also have the mounts for the 6 cyl Porsche engines....
The transaxle we are using is a 930 4 speed unit ...originals were primarily 4 speed also.
The reason for this transaxle is that the ring gear can be flipped and the box will still bolt directly to the Porsche engine with no major welding/adapter plate/machining .

At present the car will only be offered as a TK minus and will retail at approx $100k.....

I am not concerned with SVA on this car as we are building it as close as we can and that also means all the bad stuff like a small cockpit and low groundclearance......the beauty of this car is its purity and we want to keep that intact...sorry.

I envisage these cars being track car for the most part due to the restrictions its design involves.....

Hope this helps...

Congratulations Fran.

A masterpiece in its original design and your (re) construction. Earlier postings talk in terms of a work of art. It so happens I have in my study close by me Nicholas Watts' framed limited edition signed print - The Power & The Glory - A Tribute. This represents a tribute to the inspired duals between the Porsche 917's and Ferrari 512's. To the men who raced them and to the man whose passion and persistence gave us the film 'Le Mans' - Steve McQueen.

We can't wait to see more pictures.

Regards.

John.

Saw the RCR40 at GTD40 AGM in UK last weekend.Such workmanship too!

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Fran, your automotive talents, attention to detail and passion for the cars you create and build is to be envied by the competition. The chassis and body are spectacular. I concur in the sentiments of the other forum members who posted but want to highlight something that no one else has mentioned. Not only is the car a thing of beauty, but you were savvy enough to recognize the start of the holiday season and frost the windshield. Will you be displaying the body on your lawn as a Christmas decoration? I promise that I will not swing by and steal, I mean borrow it.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Re: RCR917 MORE Teaser Pics

Just a few more for you....

Attachments

• 917 chassis 047 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 047 (Small).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 917 chassis 049 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 049 (Small).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 917 chassis 044 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 044 (Small).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 917 chassis 052 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 052 (Small).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 917 chassis 034 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 034 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 917 chassis 029 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 029 (Small).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 917 chassis 036 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 036 (Small).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,058

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Just for fun......I LOVE IT!!!!!!
ALSO....
A BIG thanks to all the guys working on the RCR917 project....
Brad,Graham,Jim and Russ.....by far our most challenging project yet.....

Attachments

• 917 chassis 057 (Small).jpg
    917 chassis 057 (Small).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
Back