What's wrong with UN1 axles?

I've been doing the research to build up a car and always come across the same thing. Use the adapters and Ford Granada CV joints with the Renault UN1/369 transaxle. What's wrong with using the renault CV joints? I see that the actual transaxle has splines off the box and only found one pic of the original renault CV 'cup style' CV joint. Is it a weak joint? or is the Ford version more.....(fill in the blank , cause I don't know). And wouldn't the axles and outer joints or hubs need to be adapted depending on the car (suspension, brakes, etc.) also. The main question is why is the Ford CV joints so popular. Thanks for any and all input.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have heard of one car using the Renault joints (Chris Edwards) and he chewed up a few sets before going for the adaptors and Ford CVs and drive shafts - I believe you have to use the 2 drive shafts from one side as the Ford has different lengths left to right.

Yes the axles have to be the correct length to line up correctly between gearbox and hub - and also need some sideways play throughout the suspension travel

BUT there is more than one way to skin a cat - my car uses an adaptor flange from the renault box and a complete VW Transporter MK11 driveshaft on each side (2cvs and splined shaft per side)- the VW CV has the same bolt spacing as the Ford units

Ian

Ive had around 400hp going through my inner 'tripod' type CV's and had no problem. The new engine will be about 550hp and I dont see why they shouldnt hold up - but you abuse it you will break it.
I made new axles and fitted them to the tripod CV. Also, I made up a new outer sleeve, 5mm thick, to replace the panel steel on the outside. I guess if I break one, its a simple matter to slip on an adapter for ball-type CV's.
Interesting to note, the McLaren F1 has tripod type CV's.

Hey all,

not to do with strength, The reason is probably because,
the kitcars that the UN1 went into, at the moment people began using them, had ford derived rear suspension. so If one had the Ford flanges on the UN1 box, you could use the stock granada or sierra type drive shafts whitout modification, that way things could be done very cheap.
one of the first cars to recieve the renault boxes was the Midtec spider which was sierra based and used a Pinto OHC engine

ford apdaptor flanges are pretty cheap (for the quality you get) in the UK and can be ordered online at various places.

regards Thomas

Back