VIR race, 4th November, Derek Bell....

Malcolm

Supporter
On Wednesday, Andrew, Glenn and I fly out to the States to visit Ron and his friends and to race in the 13 hour Charge of the Headlight Brigade at Virginia International Raceway in a Spec Miata (MX5 to the rest of the world). Ron is also racing in this race as well as having prepped our car for us.

Julian and I did this race last year with Ron, so I won't bore you with details as I did a write up on the forum back then under "Virginia International Raceway adventure with RTP racing" in the Racetrack section.

This year an even bigger event with a huge grid of over 80 cars on this fabulous 3.25 mile circuit. And now it has become a touch more exciting as it has been announced that the Derek Bell is racing in a Mazda factory supported Spec Miata. So not only do we get to race on the same track as the 5 times Le Mans winner but we are in a privateer version of the car he is driving, spec for spec meant to be the same. That should be interesting to say the least!

Mylaps.com may be running the lap times live on the internet if you wish to follow and this race I shall do my best not to kill any engines!

And for next year the Aussies have declared their hand in wanting to field a team as well so we need to create a Tri-Nations cup for GT40s.com racers!

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey, if folks want to have a International GT40s.com team competition we can set it up!

This VIR 13 Hour (VIR 13 Hour Enduro :: Index) has become quite popular in the US and is full this year. It is the second longest amateur endurance race in the US, and arguably the best amateur endurance race based on track and location.

Derek Bell is being seating in a ITE Miata (basically can run ANY engine so we don't know what will be in it - but it'll be fast with those fellows driving) with Gene Felton from Trans Am fame. We are also supposed to have a ex-F1 driver being seated in another Spec Miata, and a World Rally car driver in another. Should be pretty cool to be on the track with these guys.

We're doing five Spec Miatas as a team this year. We've got Malcolm's crew coming to race, and we've got a second UK group racing one of our other Miatas. The other three are driven by my group of drivers and some fellows US racers.

We'll get some pictures up as it progresses. VIR has wireless access and if I have the time I'll put some up as we move along.

Best,
Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Here is one of the cars that will help you out with finding us.

Attachments

• side.JPG
    side.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 534
Work was bsuier than expected and kept me from getting to the track. When you've rested and recovered, would love to hear all about how it went. I am sure there are a few stories!

Ron Earp

Admin
Woo Whee, what a weekend!

Five spec Miata cars under the RTP Racing banner, #8, #9, #43, #98, and #?, dang, can't remember right now, too tired. I won't go into details here yet, but I'll post some pictures maybe later tonight and let Malcolm throw in some good bits.

In short, #43 was extremely well driven at this enduro by Malcolm MacAdam, Glenn Mason, and Andrew Worsley. Their times were in the upper 1/3 of Spec Miata times and they did a fantastic job. Fastest #43 has ever been at VIR and their times are top fifteen times for regular sprint races - very nice for anyone and especially for guys who don't call VIR a home track.

My car, #9, was taken out in hour five with a rather violent differential failure. We were definitely on track for a good finish according to lap times and had we kept it up been a top five contender.

#8 had four unscheduled stops but it still finished although it was far from being in the hunt after a battery explosion/short, alternator failure, oil pressure failure (this was fixed and it runs okay, gotta love a Miata motor), plus a rather big agrocultural excursion doing some damage.

#? finished, sans some pieces, but didn't place well due to some unscheduled stops from shunts. But, she finished!

And #98, a SM built by Jeff, Mark, and I in RTP Racing earlier this year, went to place 4th in class, pretty good there for the drivers which consisted of one US racer that is talented and local, plus two Max5 series drivers from England. They did a nice job and pulled off a good placement. :chug:

Trying to be involved with a 13 hour race with this many cars is tiring in the extreme. Hats off to our crew fellows, Ed Palombo, Paul Palombo, Bobby, Jeffery Roussel, Sumner Jones, Michael Palombo, Brian Nifong, and a bunch of other folks with this group that came to help when they could. And a big thank you to the wives, girlfriends, and mistresses of this crowd that as you know ALLOW this to happen with their blessings! :eek:

No more Miatas. for next year I've got another idea for an endurance car to go for an overall win instead of a class Spec Miata win.........:)

R

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Jeff Young here, ran the 13 hour with these guys -- was in the 9 car with Ron, et. al. (In fact, was in the car when the diff broke).

Wanted to give a congratulations out to Malcolm, Glenn and Andrew. These guys ran great times for their second/first/first times at what is a long and difficult track. Malcolm ran a 2.23.6, or within 6 tenths of my best (and I have many more laps there than him) this weekend and 1.5 seconds of my overall best. Excellent run on that.

Hope we see you guys next year.

Malcolm

Supporter
A big thank you to Ron, Jeff, Mark et al for having us over again to run with them and for letting us run the car closer to its limits which allowed us to go quicker.

The race was excellent although more crowded with nigh on 90 cars at the start. It was my first race start so it was very exciting but the tips given to me about which line to take were very helpful.

I am pleased to say my driving was better this year than last year with much less excursions and much better lap times. Andrew kept to the tarmac the whole time which is impressive and just what you need for endurance racing. Glenn was quick too straight out of the box but regretfully he got the dubious honour of collecting a car that was spinning in front of him when boxed in by two other cars. This damaged our steering plus a bit of body damage so we retired at the 11 1/2 hour marker.

Up till then, #43 ran brilliantly bar a small electrical glitch that was swiftly diagnosed and fixed. Amazing that after 196,000 miles the engine will still pull so well at high RPM. The new LSD made a big difference to exiting corners and running on the Toyo's proved no issue at all. The balance of the car was very neutral which made life a lot easier.

The night driving was a bit BTCC like as there was quite a bit of nudging going on. It was like a different race to the daylight hours.

The crew were great and meeting them again after last year was most welcoming.

I think our highest running was 30th out of 90 before things went a bit downhill!

I know all three of us wish to come out again so hopefully we will be back.

Spoke to the organisers about an Aussie team coming over too and they thought this was a brilliant idea.

Thanks for making this happen Ron!

Ron Earp

Admin
And for those that don't know, a 2:23 in a Miata is quite good and will place well in National, and Regional competition. Record is a 2:18, but that is quite suspect in the world of Spec Miata. Generally 20s-23s are "fast" for race weekends, and a 23 for a non-US fellow driving an original 200k unopened motor - that is really good. I'd never have believed she'd go that fast, but I never got a chance to drive her in the new configuration. Damn good and Glen did quite similar!

She'll be for sale here shortly if anyone wants to go SM SCCA racing, or convert her to IT or Prod. I've got my Lola I need to focus on and the JH.

I've got some pictures I'll try to put up, but I think Malcolm has more than I do. I was busy fixing a lot of stuff this go round! M, put some up!

R

Malcolm

Supporter
general race shots

Attachments

• IMG_2337 a.jpg
    IMG_2337 a.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2329 a.jpg
    IMG_2329 a.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2360 a.jpg
    IMG_2360 a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2409 a.jpg
    IMG_2409 a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 327

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Malcolm,

I uploaded the video that Sumner took from the flag stand on the back straight. In the video you can see the Oak Tree turn and the entrance on the straight. Toward the end of the video you can see Number #9 coming out of oak tree in a chain of Miatas with an RX7 passing. I don't know if that is me or Mark driving #9 at that time since I am not sure when the video is shot.

http://www.gt40s.com/images/movies/number9ontrack.AVI

Ron Earp

Admin
I've got a few motor photos. Here is Jeff shoeing his Exige around with Sumner man on the day of qualifying, getting a little practice in. Andrew hanging around, Malcolm on the ready, and Sumner scrambling for some parts. Also have pictures of cars on the grid and start, #9 with Jeff and Jeffery, as well as Paul and Ed, our crew guys, putting an alternator on the white/green car - one of many mechanical issues we had that day.Still, nothing beats it!

Attachments

• jeffandsumner_001.JPG
    jeffandsumner_001.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 9andsumner_001.JPG
    9andsumner_001.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 301
  • car8_001.JPG
    car8_001.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 271
  • andrewnervous_001.JPG
    andrewnervous_001.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 320
  • grid_001.JPG
    grid_001.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 285
  • jeffandjeff9_001.JPG
    jeffandjeff9_001.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 289
  • malcolmandandrew_001.JPG
    malcolmandandrew_001.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 327
  • malcolmready_001.JPG
    malcolmready_001.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 282
  • paulanded_001.JPG
    paulanded_001.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 318

Ron Earp

Admin
Scramble for those tools Sumner with your $4 FAmily Dollar AC/DC hat!!! rockonsmile

Attachments

• scramble_001.JPG
    scramble_001.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 292

Ron Earp

Admin
It is hard to get across how much work these things are. I was completely exhausted after the enduro. The crew worked so hard to make sure everything went as smoothly as possible, and drivers worked as well. In the shot that Malcolm posted around #43 engine that is Paul in camo, Kurt standing, me in thug hat, and Ed - all of use putting on a new alternator and fixing a coolant leak. Ultimately for naught when a car spun in front of #43 and Glenn had to hit it, taking #43 out for the night.

Paul and Ed did a fantastic job crewing for these cars and there is no way to thank them enough. A team could not want for a better crew (and they went to school this year and are licensed drivers now too!) and I look forward to working with them in the coming years.

R

Back