New ZF Transaxle Bracket

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Guys,

Here's the new ZF Transaxle Bracket. This can be used to upgrade a Getrag car to ZF application or replace the old style CAV supplied plate.

This part is tig welded from CNC cut steel plate with machined spacers and bushing assembled within. The part also lowers the sway bar mounts to put the bar more in line with the original car.

It is far stiffer than the plate(s) it replaces in the for/aft mode. We found the drivetrain could move forward under hard braking, not a good situation as this also upsets the shift pattern of rod shift mechanisms.

Another benifit is weight savings 10.5lbs vs 13. Paint finish to order. Shown is high temperature metallic aluminum in base clear.

This transaxle mount is the result of several versions of modified CAV parts. It's the first all new version and was only possible after going through a learning curve and bringing CAD design in-house.

Hope you like it, the first three are spoken for but more are being made.

It will also be available as part of a total conversion kit for Getrag to ZF, everything you need except the transaxle (call Lloyd at RBT unless you in Canada, then call me). The kit will have Bellhousing, Starter Plate, Flywheel, Clutch, Throwout Bearing, Transaxle Bracket, Motor Mounts, Shifter Mechanism and instructions.

Cheers

Attachments

• TranBrktTestFit.jpg
    TranBrktTestFit.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 781
Very, very nice. But I have one question.

Is the rear mount a solid type of setup?

I ask this because if the motor mounts are rubber and you have a solid transaxle mount, you could induce stress because the rear can't flex with the rest of the engine.

Thanks
Bill D

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Bill,

Thanks, the stock CAV rubber bushes with steel sleeves are retained. They are quite hard and used in the motor mounts as well.

Flex is not really an issue with the CAVs and this transaxle bracket further stiffens a rigid monocoque. There are four bolts passing through each end of the part attaching to the "shock towers" for lack of a better word.

The original cars had a strut arm to supplement the cross brace and reduce flex. In our version this is integral to the plate as the inboard end of the upper lateral links stanchion is held in double sheer by the chassis and I-Beam structure of the bracket being clamped together.

There's five CNC cut plates and eight machined sleeves with inner shoulders in this part. It goes together real sweet and Tig welds up like a dream. Close gaps really make a difference there.

There's other new bits coming so stay tuned, including some universal fit parts to help guys building other brands.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back