twin turbo engine run

It's a car I bought a couple of months ago partially "completed".
In reality, what it really needs is stripping right back and rebuilding.
It's fitted with a twin turbocharged rover V8 engine (3.5 litre) which was fully rebuilt, lightened, balanced etc etc. The builder said he could never get the engine to rev cleanly, and asking around, I've been told it should have a "boost referenced fuel pressure regulator" (whatever the hell that is) to enable the fuel pressure to rise as the turbos demand it. (although I suspect it MAY be possible the fuel lines may also be restricting the supply)
I have bought a re-buildable 302 engine, but to be honest, lack of funds means it may be a while before it's fitted. I'm seriously considering ripping the turbo's off and whacking on a standard exhaust if I can find a secondhand one for a sensible price (hence my post in the wanted section) Personally I like the idea of the rover engine, light weight and (fairly) easily upgradable to a 4.6 litre. I'm not hugely worried about masses of power as the car will only be for road use, and as I want to use it as much as possible, I do need to keep an eye on economy (maybe I should fit a diesel?)
If anyone knows of a secondhand rover exhaust for sale, i'd appeciate a call.
Thanks
Simon 07802 463848

Simon -

for 'boost referenced' fuel pressure, your fuel regulator will have a pipe connected to it from the manifold. This means that at idle (off boost), the vacuum present lowers the fuel rail pressure and when boost is developed, the fuel pressure rises accordingly. This also gives the benefit of widening the operating range of the injectors and hence the fuel map will be more controllable. (with a fixed pressure you'd require short openings for idle, but much longer openings on boost and the injector might not be able to flow enough at the higher rpm on boost as it would run out of time...)

If you do decide to pull the turbos etc off, let me know the details, I might have a use for them.:)

Paul,

No not efi, old fashioned SU's (off a couple of montego turbo's!....classy) red top facet pumps, return feeds to the tanks.

Simon

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Simon, hard to tell from the vid whether you have the SUs packed into a pressurized box of if the carbs are separately pressurized. If you have them packed into a common pressurized box then take a look at the the fuel pressure management from an early maserati biturbo (twin turbo and carb in a pressurized box). It's going back a few years but I know there is a fuel pressure adjustment mechanism that works off the turbos. Good luck!

Thanks Cliff,
I must admit I'm leaning more towards taking it all off the engine and replacing with a single carb now (as long as I can get a s/h exhaust system)

Back