the best sound ever heard

Lucas,
I made a similar comment in thread...
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/19615-making-your-own-chassis-unique-gt40s.html?highlight=787b
Also I attached the extended version of that same video.
One of the reasons I like this car so much (apart from the looks) is that they dared to be different and managed to succeed in doing it. Its one of the reasons I like the GT40 too. Conventional thinking says that the GT40 should never have won with an iron pushrod engine, but they managed to slap the competition in the face as did the rotary engined 787B. I now have to add another Le Mans winner to that list though. The diesel powered Audi R10.

Chris, do you really think the diesel AUdi belongs in such company? An innovative car, yes, but the ACO set up the rules in such a way that it wouldn't lose.

Favorable classing - the primary reason Porsches have chalked up so many wins.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mark Worthington said:
Chris, do you really think the diesel AUdi belongs in such company? An innovative car, yes, but the ACO set up the rules in such a way that it wouldn't lose.

Mark - substantiate please,
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Mark,
The worry for me also is that another whitewash by VAG would result in the LMP class being severely reduced in subsequent years by protest withdrawals. In a way to me it's a bit like the Schumacher effect albeit in a different way, as the paying public declined markedly and voted with their feet, instead of teams declining to enter.
I agree that the ballast reduction for petrol engine cars in ALMS changed things remarkeably and maybe the ACO might change the ballasting in 2008 but the 2007 regs are set in concrete now and barring mishaps it would seem that the 2007 24h du LM will be between VAG Audi and PSA Peugeot. Equally though, I see Pescarolo as being victorious even if their budget and subsequent track position at the 2007 24h might show otherwise.
regards,
Dave

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware of the finer points of the rules so thanks for pointing it out Mark. Rules are rules and any unfair advantage should be considered whenever imparting praise.

But did I understand Pescarolo’s gripe correctly? It seems to me that Pescarolo is not so much complaining that the rules favour a lesser car, but that the governing body is ignoring evidence of a natural advantage in a diesel engine. I know it’s a subtle difference but if that’s the case then purely from an engineering perspective (forgetting the injustices for a moment) the achievements of Audi are all the more impressive. Who would have thought even one year ago that petrol powered teams would be crying foul on the basis that a diesel engine is a superior race engine.

Lucas,
I'm always happy to see that clip again too :)

Back