all road and quattro transaxles

I've been following this forum for 3 or 4 years and really enjoy the information. I've always wondered why no one uses the all wheel drive transaxles. Is it the length in the GT40 application? Are they basically the same with an extension of the mainshaft? They're so much more common than the front wheel drive units. Curious in Canada. Cheers, Dave

Dave, the 4wd transaxles have a different rear casting, which is slightly longer than the 2wd boxes.

They also have a rear output shaft and an integral front/rear diff (A4 & A6).
To use this in 2wd mode you need to lock the diff up by welding it.
In the 2wd boxes the main input shaft is solid, but in the 4wd it is a smaller diameter (or might be hollow, I forget now), as it has the front output shaft running back up the outside of it.

I brought a low miles RS4 gearbox with the intention of converting it (I know of RS4s with 500+bhp with no box problems), but gave up when I discovered the extent of mods needed. This is possibly the strongest box Audi make, but they are restricted sales only. You cannot buy an RS4 box from Audi without an RS4 chassis number. I got mine from a fire damaged car being broken. It was not cheap either as far as Audi boxes go - £800...

hope that helps.

Cheers,
John.

The AWD boxes are several inches longer than their respective 2WD transaxles as they have a housing for the center diff, which as John W stated, would need to be welded. I guess it could be done, but it would weigh a lot more than it needs to and the ass end of it would hang out the back of a GT40.

Another issue I have heard of is that they can be more fragile when modded for 2WD only, as the engine BHP is distributed to 2 outputs in theory if power distribution is 50/50 one output would only take a percentage of the total engine HP, so designed with this in mind.
You see porsche G64 boxes come up for sale but I think the same applies, although I have heard some Ultimas have used these before.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. That eliminates that as an option. I'll brush up on my German and try Ebay.de to find a 01E 6 speed FWD. Does the KEP adapter for an Audi 016 also fit an 01E? Sounds like they're close enough to make it work. Thanks again, Cheers, Dave

If the KEP adapter is similar to the one that Roaring Forties supplied with my kit, the adapter will mate up perfectly except for the starter. One of the two starter bolts will be offset.

Ron Earp

Admin
But to clairfy for Dave, a KEP 016 adapter mates up to a 01E? I didn't think this was the case. If so, then those folks concerned about 01E adapter would have their problem solved.

The KEP is significanty different from the RF adapter kit. I was thinking they would be similar and some of my old parts would cross over, but none (flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing) did. The adapter plate is aluminum insteal of steel, and the flywheel design is different in that it has a lip around the outer edge that is quite deep so that the pressure plate and clutch sit down into the flywheel. The starter bolts directly to the adapter with no adapter block and it uses regular bolts straight through the starter. The inside of the 016 also needs no clearancing for the the KEP setup to rotate and miss the pressure plate.

Ron Earp

Admin
So an O1E bolts right up to a 016 adapter? I'll be darned. How about the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing? I could swear folks were having problems sorting that out, or thought they were. Maybe it was trouble sorting out the shifting????

Ron, I'm certain that the KEP adapter kit is different from that supplied by Roaring Forties, but I'm certain that the adapter plate has to be the same in terms of how the transaxle bellhousing mounts up with the SBF block. So what I'm saying is that I think the KEP adapter plate could be used as a starting point for an 01E adapter, however the starter, flywheel and clutch would have to be engineered from a clean sheet of paper.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Mark, I understand, I was just trying to clairify the differences.

I don't know why I have been under the impression that the 016 and 01E were different. For some reason I had it in my head that GT40 builders wanting to use the 01E were having some difficulties getting everything together for the SB Ford. Looks like I was completely wrong on this.

Mark Worthington said:
Ron, I'm certain that the KEP adapter kit is different from that supplied by Roaring Forties, but I'm certain that the adapter plate has to be the same in terms of how the transaxle bellhousing mounts up with the SBF block. So what I'm saying is that I think the KEP adapter plate could be used as a starting point for an 01E adapter, however the starter, flywheel and clutch would have to be engineered from a clean sheet of paper.

Bingo... Just got to work out all of that out now

Attachments

• gearbox1.jpg
    gearbox1.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 449

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright, I got you fellows now. The plate is fine, the goodies have to be worked out. Mark said that eariler, I just didn't put two and two together for some reason. Sorry for the digression.

R

Dave,
jerry jansing at allpro cars kentucky has some audi o1e boxes and can do all the mods to suit gt 40 installation.
cheers ali

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The trans mounting face to the centreline of the output flanges is shorter with the O1E box and this needs to be taken into account when installing the set up in the chassis.
A deep adapter plate and a standard type flywheel is the direction RCR is taking.....
Flatchat here on the forum has been working on this for the collective good.

The adapter plate is good to go and now the associated parts are being pieced together.

Great information guys! Having studied pictures I'd always known that the flywheel clutch from KEP wouldn't fit, but wasn't sure about the adapter. Thanks Ali, I'll try them on monday. You are blessed to be living in the second most beautiful country in the world! Thanks all, Cheers, Dave

Back