G50trans gear linkage.. help!

Hi,
Jon Beckett here - noob jst joined - I'm building a wincanton cup Dart engined 358cid and G50 set-up for racing next year. However I'm stuck on what linkage to use for this set-up.

What do I use from trans to gear shifter - what gear shifter should I use for a 5-speed G50.?

I'm assuming the Gt40 also has the trans swung outback; as opposed to 911, which is set-up in reverse order?

Best rgds
Jon :confused:

[email protected]
Team Phoenix Esprit

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jon,

It has been done just about every way you can think of: all solid with bell cranks and linkages; a hybrid with cable for fore-aft motion and rods/bellcranks for torsional motion (this is actually pretty cool) and twin cable systems. With the twin cable systems, the fore-aft is pretty straigt forward using a miriad of cable shifters from production cars ( I use a shifter from a toyota tercel). For the torsional movement, you can find guys who loop the cable around so that it comes in at 90° to the shift rod and I've seen bellcranks/linkages used. There are "store bought" units from various vendors: Patrick Motorsports, Renegade and others as well.

Do some searches here and you'll find plenty of info from home built to store bought.

Regards,
Lynn

Edit: BTW, If you don't want to do all of this at the nose of the transaxle, there is a company, Califonia Motorsports, that makes a cool side shift mechanism for the G50.

Last edited:
Back