What about insurance and registration?

I'd love to get a T70 coupe, but I need to know that I can legally drive it on the street. How woud it be registered and insured in Texas?

Thanks, Lee

OH Grasshopper!!! There are thousands of street rods, replicas, kit cars, home builts, reproductions on the streets of America. Each state has their won requirements. Some are relatively easy and some are a pain in the arse and some have specific categories for such cars. Check your states dmv site for information on what is required. Local street rodder clubs would be a good resource. Mostly what is required is a certificate of origin of the body/chassis and receipts for the major components such as engine and transaxle. Some states required an inspection by the state police of the car and documents and other states just want the sales tax collected for all the parts before they give you plates and a vin number.

In Massachusetts a state police inspection of the finished car (must be painted) is required and there are differences what inspection station you go to. I had to make three trips before they issued a vin number. each time i went i fixed the issue from the previous inspection and they found another item to nick me on.

I had no problems with insurance. I had the car appraised and did stated value. Each state is a little different with this.

Thank you. I'm getting a big raise next year and I have a burning desire for a bad-a ride. The Lola T70 is about as bad as you can get.

When I first started investigating a car I called Haggarty Insurance, They were most helpful and the quote for a GT40 based car much to my surprise was quite reasonable.

You will probably also need to live with some restrictions on the policy such as "no more than 2,500 miles per year, driven only to and from special events, and/or stored in a locked garage."

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I insure with Safeco. No mileage limits, agreed upon value. Less than $400 per year.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Lee in Texas said:
How woud it be registered and insured in Texas? Thanks, Lee
Years ago I was going to build a Cobra replica so I contacted the manufacturer and asked him the same questions. What I was told was that in TX the vehicle is registered as the year and make it replicates--i.e., my 289 FIA replica would have been registered as a '65 Ford Cobra. Additionally, receipts for the major components (engine, transmission, differential, etc.) or the title for a donor car would also be required.

As you are aware, we here in TX are subject to sniffer tests, depending on where you live, but vehicles registered as '60's vintage cars are exempt from sniffer tests and catylitic converter requirements. I suspect you might even be exempt from having seat belts in the car if you wanted to be that foolish!

As for insurance, I can't help you much, but what I've read from others sounds pretty consistent.

I say go for it. I'd like to see a 70 driving the streets here in the Lone Star State!

Doug

Back