Fuel conditioners vs. ethanol issues

I have been using Stabil as a fuel conditioner for a number of years, but recently became aware of two other fuel conditioners, which are purported to be better at solving the fuel/water separation issues, associated with "ethanol added" gasoline (alcohol). One is Seafoam, the other is Star Tron.

A friend of mine recently completed a bench test, comparing Stabil to Star Tron (Star Brite), using two samples drawn from the same source. After only three weeks, the separation of water and gas was VERY obvious! They both had 1/4" of water in the bottom of each baby food jar. He added the recommended dosage of each product to the jars, and 24hrs later, the Stabil had 1/8" of water at the bottom of the jar, but the Star Tron only had a spot, the size of a dime. I should add that after the 24hrs, the Stabil sample was cloudy, while the Star Tron was gin clear.

I have also been told about another test, in which Star Tron cleared up two year old, cloudy fuel in 30 minutes.

While the choice based on this test is obvious to me, I have no knowledge of the effectiveness of Seafoam. Has anybody tried it? If so, care to share the results?

With the ever increasing percentage of ethanol in pump gas, we should all be considering our best fuel treatment option. It's that or install a fuel water separator (I know, I know...we're not talking about a boat here).

Technical data on these products is readily available from each company, but other than my freind's test, I am not aware of any unbiased comparison tests.

I'd be glad to hear anybody's thoughts.

Bill

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
This thread is timely. I've got two cars in a heated garage with STA-BIL for both setting on the work bench. This subject came up a year ago in a Ferrari tech session I was involved in and there seemed to be a lot of interest in products that compete with STA-BIL. With the results you've seen, I'll wait for more information before using an additive.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
SeaFoam is my additive of choice for regular interval cleaning of the fuel system. I usually buy two cans and use them to treat two sequential tanks of fuel. Sometimes I notice a difference in the first tank, but I always notice a difference by the time the second tankful is depleted. Perhaps it takes that long for the additives to "boil out" the water?

Doug

Hi All !

The best way to deal with water in the fuel is to keep the tanks topped and install some type of drain sump in the lowest point of the fuel tank. If this is not practical, any low spot in the line from the tank to the metering system will suffice for an installation of a drain. Do this and drain a sample every month or so (depending on the amount the car is driven) and you won't have to add any additional additives to the tanks.

Regards,
Scott

rockonsmile

Back