O1E From Overseas...Whosdunnit?

Hello all:

Ill quickly introduce myself, my name is Ryan and I have been (over the past 3 or so years) Building a Corvair with a 400 HP V8 in the middle. Currently its using a Kelmark kit, but the saginaw 4 speed keeps breaking.

So for the past year or so I have been doing my homework and scouring the local junkyards hoping to find that perfect Audi transaxle. Well it just isnt happening. All I keep finding is quattros. I have been checking out eBay Deutschland – Der weltweite Online-Marktplatz , and there seems to be plenty of 01E (or Audi 6 gang as I have been searching over there) and they seem to be fairly reasonable priced. Has anybody had any luck with buying one off ebay and having it shipped over to the US?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
VairKing,

I purchased a new 01E from a person that had it shipped from Europe. He claimed to have paid about $600 in freight to get two of them over here (Kansas).

Regards,

Al

I bought my 01E in April 2005 from the ebay.de site. It's from a VW Passat and it has 12,000 km on it. Code is ELN; gear ratios are great. I had been watching and bidding on ebay.de auctions for over a year before I landed one. They come up for sale fairly regularly (one every couple weeks or so) and the prices range from 500 to 1,000 Euros. I bought mine for 750 Euros, and paid 330 Euros for air freight delivery to my door (via UPS). Total came out to just shy of $1,500, including escrow fees. I used escrow.com and, along with the seller, was happy with the transaction.

Good luck.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
As Mark says the freight is a bit expensive from this side of the pond.But is you are not in a desperate hurry a lot of consolidators fill containers and ship from most European ports to USA. Cost is about £100 - £105 for 1000kg or a cubic meter (normally the smallest size catered for)

Remember at present the weak USD is going against you on these costs (1GBP = USD1.95 today!)

Ian

Back