shift light

Today I installed an Omex shift light pro in my CAV GT. But there appears to be no power going to the unit as the LED lights on the unit do not light up when setting the number of cylinders.
I have followed the instructions that came with the shift light. Red wire is connectedto the + terminal of the blaster coil and the blue wire to the - terminal of the coil. The black wire from the unit is earthed.
I have not used output from the MSD 6al module. Am I doing something fundamently wrong?.

Ron Earp

Admin
I have not hooked one of those up with that name, but have hooked up programmable shift lights like that one and many others. I think it should go like this:

Red - switched +12V source, NOT on + terminal on coil for sure
Black - Ground, NOT on coil, use chassis ground
Blue - Tach signal, you can get this from the MSD, look on the back of the 6AL module unit and you'll find a diagram and use the correct wire for tach or trigger

Sounds like the directions are screwed up.

Hello -

Be very wary of connecting ANY electronic aftermarket 'gadget or gizmo' across the terminals of a blaster coil being driven by an MSD..

The MSD unit (as many similar units of other mfr) not only provides multiple sparks, but also provides a much larger spark enery than usual 12v/points systems.. This it does by firing the ignition coil with not 12v, but as much as several hundred volts.!:eek: It's not just the HT lead that can give a nasty jolt, get your fingers across the coil LT terminals and you'll seriously regret it.. - Ouch!!!

I know of at least TWO other shift light units that have been destroyed by being connect across a coil driven similarly.

Of course if the unit you have specifies that you can connect to such a system, then fair enough, but double check to be sure..

Let us know what you find...

Howard Jones

Supporter
Oh, Oh! MDS ignition boxes will kill a lot of electronic stuff. Thats why they have a tach signal source on them. If it's not dead yet hook it up like Ron suggests. Or call up the Omex guys and ask them how to hook it up to a MSD unit.

If it's dead.... send it back and ask for a new one. I just read the installation instructions for the Omex pro shift light and it does say to hook it up as you describe. The do not however mention MSD units. MSD's are not the capacitive discharge systems they allude to in the installation instructions.

Last edited:
Back