013 verses 016

Hi Folks

Need a bit of advice re Audi transaxles. Have have searched the forum for answers but could not find exactly what I need to know.

I have searched NZ wreckers for a 016 2WD trans without luck. I have found a couple of 016 4WD boxes, but I understand they need quite a bit of mods to work in a GT40.

013 boxes are easy to find and appear pretty similar. Are they inferior to 016's in any way? Is there and reason I should pass them up and continue my search for an 016??

Any answers will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

Plenty of views but no answers:(..... Did I ask a difficult one or is everyone sick of discussing Audi transaxles?

Anyone in NZ have any leads on a good 016 or 01E?

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

The 013 was, as far as I know, was used in the smaller Audi's. From that, one might suspect they're not capable of handling the torque as the well known and commonly used 016. You may be hard pressed to find someone who's tried the 013 behind V8 power. I Wish I could be of more help. Did you try any breakers in AUS?

Andy

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Neil

My understanding is that the 013 and 016 are basically the same except for the shift rod output being out the back (like Renault and VW) vs on the side as per 016. Also the gear ratios are better for lazy V8s and hiway cruising, 6000rpm in fifth gives 176mph on 295/50/15 tires. That's cooking:)

We have new 013s in stock (really brand new old stock). R&P and 5th gear ratios are lower than the 016. I suspect these were meant for deisel cars so torque handling should not be less than 016. The Getrags are ok for modest 302s, I'd recommend the RBT ZF for anything over 400hp.

I can send you more info if you like and shipping to NZ is no problem.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys,

From what i can see they look the same from the outside so i can not imagine they are any weaker on the inside, but still intrested in any other opinions on these boxes.

Ian, any info on what you have there would be great, easier to buy new than rebuild. Please e-mail me at [email protected]

Cheers, Neil

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Neil

I've zipped a file for you with a little info. It seems to indicate that the output flange is slightly larger on the 016 hence larger diameter CV joints, compared to the 013 boxes.

Regards

Bill.

Attachments

• Audi transaxle Data.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 468
Back