Transaxle Selection - ZF, Audi, Etc.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Re: New to GT40s.com

Tony, what Getrag are you installing? 5N? 3U? AAZ? AFC? Incidentally, what tweaks are you getting done to the Getrag? 944 LSD?

The 347 stroker with webers will be plenty of engine. I think you'll be pretty shocked by the power/acceleration. Don't let all that power get away from you. I'd suggest spending some time on suspension tuning before trying to put all of that hp down on the pavement.

You'll love the CAV - great car, beautifully built, very usable.

Live the dream baby.

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Hi,

The plan has changed it was going to be a Getrag but the car was already setup for a ZF so it seems to be easier (as long as I can get a ZF) to use that rather than changing out a bunch of parts.

Cheers,

Tony M

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED

Tony, you'll find the ZF is quite expensive (think $7,000+), if cost is any issue to you.

Not sure what you mean by the car is already set up for a ZF...? The shifter is easy to adapt to either. The 016 bolts to the SBF with a simple adapter plate. I believe the ZF bolts right on (no adapter plate) provided you have the right bellhousing on the box. The CVs for the 016 are dead simple while they're a little more exotic for the ZF I believe. That's about it - there's really not much to it.

Usually the more important considering in the ZF v. 016 analysis is how much hp you're putting through the driveline. Anything more than about 375hp and most here will advise you to go with the ZF.

Hope this helps!

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Hi,

According to Roy at VIP Classics there are significant differences between a car set for a Getrag and one set for a ZF. Shift linkage is different, exhaust system is different, bellhousing is different, some of the mounting brackets etc. are different and I believe he said driveshafts also. I know the ZF is more expensive but the cost of replacing or modifying these other items is going to add more cost anyway plus the 347 has been dynoed at 450hp so it's probably worth the extra.

Cheers,

Tony M.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED

Tony, sounds like you know what you want then. The ZF is a great box and should do very well for you.

I've seen elsewhere on this forum that the wait for a ZF from RBT (the main supplier of ZF) may be up to six months unfortunately. Sounds like you already have one sourced and ready to go however.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back