Fixing brake lines to pass SVA in UK

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
I notice that the brake/clutch lines need to be fastened every 300mm to pass the SVA in the UK, any ideas how to fasten the sections running through the central tunnel?

Ron Earp

Admin
How is the inspector going to determine that they are fastened every 300mm?

You could use P clips and glue them on the lines every 300mm in the proper orientation. Then, you could drill holes every 300 mm. And, probably with a lot of cussing you could manouver the lines and P clips to correspond with the hole and get a pop rivet through it from outside the tunnel. Use of slightly oversized holes would help here I'd imagine.

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Yeah I feared that'd be the case, was hoping for a method that'd involve less swearing :pepper:

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, every 300 mm on the tunnel you could cut a 1" diameter hole with a hole saw. Then, you could fabricate 2" circles from aluminum to cover them up, and, to give you an easy way to have an access panel for the afixing.

You could either rivet the line to the panel, then rivet the panel to the tunnel, or, rivet the line to the tunnel right next to the cutout and use the cutout to help get it riveted.

Fasten your lines to a strip of alloy unequal angle (approx 10mm x 30mm x 1.5mm) that is slightly longer than the tunnel. Bend the angle over at each end and fasten to the tunnel/tub ends, take a couple of before/after pics to show the inspector. This way if you ever have to work in that area you just remove the whole assy from the car. Just to be sure run the idea past your inspector before you do it.

Jac Mac

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I guess it all comes down to the SVA definition of "fastened". Mine are zip-tied to the insulated a/c pipes running thru the tunnel - every 300mm as per the book, & this was ok.

At worst, you could run the pipes at floor level & use P-clips pop-riveted to the floor under the main rad pipes (& take lots of pics) !

Good Luck,

Peter D.

Could you try and use these sort of clips.
I used them all over my car to secure the brake pipes.

Attachments

• 000_0931.JPG
    000_0931.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 431

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I like JacMac's idea as well. I might suggest a strip of 1/16" thick, self stick closed cell foam on back of the strip to prevent vibration noise in midtunnel.

Lynn

llarsen said:
I like JacMac's idea as well. I might suggest a strip of 1/16" thick, self stick closed cell foam on back of the strip to prevent vibration noise in midtunnel.

Lynn

Or a couple of strips of velcro glued to chassis & angle alloy.

Jac Mac

Back