I want one!

Hello all!
Ever since reading an ad in C&'SC mag, I can not get the GT40 out of my head. I am an enthusiast of sportscars, (founder and chairman of Falsterbo Classic, check Falsterbo Classic & Sportscar Show) and I have had a few fun cars in the past. Currently in the garage is a Porsche 911 1989, a Ferrari 328 GTS 1988 and a Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV 1968. Having tried trackdays and clubracing once or twice, I am hooked, and have for quite some time had my mind set on a Lotus Elise. But then the a.m. ad! Now I am reading everything I can on the subject, and the Hi-Tech produced FIA car must be "the one". But one big piece of the puzzle is still missing; Where can I order one? I have so far been unable to find the contactinformation to the Hi-Tech guys in Port Elisabeth. So far, I have found the US dealer (?) Superformance only.

Does anyone know if US prices stated (USD 65.000) for a standard car less engine and gearbox includes any sorts of taxes deductable should I order a car in the US for export to Sweden? ( My country of recidence).

Happy new year from Scandinavia!

Kaj

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Kaj,

Post this in the Superformance forum for some direct factory contact. It is Jan 1 2007, the Superformance basic roller is supposed to cost $79k with no options. The FIA car is different from the normal car and I do not know if FIA production has started. It is, I am told, significantly more expensive than the normal version.

Ron

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Ron, just wondering if you (or anyone on the forum) happen to know if the SPF FIA version has actually received any FIA approval in any specific instance? I'm guessing that anyone who drops the $ on this model will want some assurance that the car will, in fact, receive the FIA approval.

Cliff, we will only be accepting orders for the FIA car once we are ready and have completed the process required by them. Having said that, and after studying the applicable rules, we are also confident that we will be able to comply with them. We are also guaging the response to decide if the potential demand will justify the the final cost involved. They will have to be supplied complete with the correct engine and tranny as well as be for "offroad" use only. I hope this puts your mind at rest.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi-Tech Auto said:
Cliff, we will only be accepting orders for the FIA car once we are ready and have completed the process required by them. Having said that, and after studying the applicable rules, we are also confident that we will be able to comply with them. We are also guaging the response to decide if the potential demand will justify the the final cost involved. They will have to be supplied complete with the correct engine and tranny as well as be for "offroad" use only. I hope this puts your mind at rest.

OK, got it - makes total sense. I suspect you'll have a lot of interest for this version - there are tons of well-to-do guys looking for just such a vehicle to enjoy vintage racing (at least in Seattle here). Can you give some preliminary guidance as to the cost delta? Are we talking $125K or $150K or ?

Thank you.

Hi Cliff, We are well on the way to reaching a dacision on this. In fact, there are only two major details that we have not yet resolved and that is (a) our use of aluminium alloy for the uprights and wheels in place of the original magnesium alloy and (b) the use of none original spec brakes. Consensus, so far, is we will have to tool up for both hence our reticense to commit just now. By the way Alan Mann (who ran GT40's,coupes,and cobras for Ford in the sixties) has just ordered a car in the UK and we has agreed to assist with whatever info he can offer. Kind Regards Jim Price

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Hi-Tech Auto said:
We are also guaging the response to decide if the potential demand will justify the the final cost involved.

Jim -
I have cars # 60 and 61 from you guys. Put me on your list to keep posted about the FIA version.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi again! First of all thank you all for taking your time and responding to my first posting on this terrific site! The place to be it seems. Ron; Thank you for your tip. I will post on the Superfomance forum as well. Jim; Why can a FIA car not have a roadresistration too? As far as I know, there is notheing in the FIA appendix K to prevent a roadregistration. I am in the process of getting a FIA passport for my roadregistered Alfa Romeo. Are not many of the original cars in fact roadregistered as well as holders of FIA passports?

I would greatly appreciate if somepne also could shed some light over how Superformance and Hi-Tech is connected. And; Can I order a car with a dealer in USA? If so, is then the car delivered including taxes? Are these taxes deductable by exporting to Europe?

Thank you!

Kaj

Ron Earp

Admin
Fellows, keep the posts in the "Newbie" forum down to "hello" and posts looking for folks. Specific questions are best asked in specific forums to perserve the knowledge base for the future. Thanks,
Ron

Back