Holley electric fuel pump

Ron McCall

Supporter
I know that some people are using Holley electric pumps .My question is,does mounting them at the bottom of the "firewall", in the engine bay,cause a problem with priming? Holley doesn't want it mounted higher than the fuel tank.
Anyone have first hand experience with this?

I have dual Holley fuel pumps mounted on the lower firewall and they function perfectly.

Attachments

• CIMG0001crop.jpg
    CIMG0001crop.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 526

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Good question Ron, as I plan on doing the exact thing Larry has done also...

Ron Earp

Admin
I worried about this in my RF when I was starting to get fuel pumps together. But, I took the pump and hooked it up on the bench and then put a feed into water located about four feet below the pump - it had absolutely zero problem sucking the water up and out, in fact, it'll pull more than four feet too. I think you'll be absolutely fine. We've got the fuel pump above the fuel cell in two of our race cars, about 1.5-2ft up, same holley pumps, and have no problems while racing.

R

R

My Holley pumps did not prevent fuel from flowing backwards and required an in-line check valve (see it at the bottom center on the picture in the earlier post). I got my check valves off of eBay and if memory serves me, I paid like $15/each. If anyone needs them I will check the source and post it.

my holley pump on the firewall sits higher then the fuel tanks and I never had problems with it.Even so it is mounted an rubber insulators it makes a lot of noise.Is this with all these pumps?Emiel

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Emiel,
I have gone to great lengths to reduce the noise of these pumps. I have gone so far as to even insulate the mounting bolts themselves including through the bulkhead, but yet the darn things are still quite audible.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The older holley Blue/Red (Vane) pumps are the fricken loudest pumps. I had them in a couple of cars and always were audible over the engines.

I was looking at the Mallory or New Holley pumps (Gerotor) has anyone run them and how was well did they work? I think the New Holley Billet pump had recall due to a motor manufacturing problem on the HP version (140 gph 12-150) but the 12-125 pump with internal regulator was ok. Also like the mallory ma-4140 but never ran any of the Mallory pumps.

Also Ron/Ron I am going to run a manual fuel selector before one pump, you mentioned that is worked with a 4 feet verticle draw, which pump was that?

Last question, which type of pump might do better with the long draw, a vane pump or the gerotor style if the style might matter?

Sandy

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Sandy,

I have a Mallory. Rubber mounted and loud :-( Although, I must admit it is mounted on the sheet metal between chassis tubes. It may not be quite so bad if it was mounted on a heavier metal tab or directly to the frame.

I am looking to change it with the installation of the header tank to see if I can NOT hear the fuel pump over the engine. Any suggestions appreciated. Same for the low pressure pump to feed the header; any suggestions appreciated.

Lynn

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn -

The only pumps that I have used (I'm sure others exist too) was the Carter pumps. One thing that I didn't like was the connections to the pumps were push on terminals instead of screws/nuts. Newer or Marine might have changed that but the push on terminals were weak. It was very quiet and never had a problem with it running a 454 in a boat. Not sure what the HP capacity are on them, but it was a good pump.

I have a holley 160hp in the Mustang and it is mounted in the trunk to the battery box but I would expect it to be loud if not.

I also have the SX Performance inline EFI pumps that can run a carb (I have one of their Carb Regs for that pump) but I am guessing it will just be bypassing a huge amount of fuel back to the tank and draws a bunch of current (like 10 amps or so).

Oh, and a mechanical or roller cam will help quiet the fuel pump noise

Sandy

Ron Earp

Admin
Sandy said:
Also Ron/Ron I am going to run a manual fuel selector before one pump, you mentioned that is worked with a 4 feet verticle draw, which pump was that?

I tested the blues and the reds, Holley. No problem with pulling up liquid, none whatsoever.

We've got them mounted in everything (red tops) and they are loud as hell. I've rubber isolated them, bushed them, mounted to thick metal, thin metal, etc. and they are just plain loud. I just moved the JH pump from the trunk, where it'd get whacked in a race, to a brace on the panhard rod. Loud even under the car and down low, but once the motor is running I can't hear it.

R

Back