A Link Collection - What say you?

Ron Earp

Admin
Folks have asked for a collection of useful links from time to time. I think it is a good idea, but, it'd take a person to organize, update, etc. Nobody wants to be that person.

But, what if we made the link collection a Forum, with subforms for links? Something like the MB Link Collection?

I was kicking around on the net looking for items I like on forums for our designer to impliment and ran across that site. This is something I can easily setup and ANY registered user could add links into the appropriate subforum. If I can get someone to moderate those subforums then we'd be in business, and moderation wouldn't take much time - just check it and make sure the Link for Fasteners isn't stuffed in the Engine links and things like that.

Thoughts?

Ron

A very good idea. Maybe you can split it so that for links to the US or the UK are seperate for ease of finding things. Just a thought.

Regards
Paul

Ron Earp

Admin
Please bear in mind we do have a link collection that John C and others put together last year and that Al put into HTML format. It is here and accessible from the main portal:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/useful_links.html

It has been up for at least 6-8 months but I don't know that people really notice it. It is nice work, but, as static HTML it'll require someone to hand edit and add things to it when new things are found. That is rather time consuming.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ron,

Could this links page be a sub menu item off of Quick Links? It appears that the main menu is pretty crowded as it is, so including it there doesn't seem to be an option. But, having it accessible only from the opening portal page, which I doubt many use, doesn't seem useful either.

I am considering whether to moderate a links page or not. If you get some spare time, give me a ring and we can talk about it.

Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Lynn,

I can call once back. As far as layout now don't worry about what the forum looks like at the moment - in about a month it'll completely change and will have far better organization for menus, online store for GT40 items, a real chat plugin, and a GT40 motif. So we'll have room for a good links page or area with high visibility. The portal location doesn't work. Although I use the portal on a daily basis I don't know that everyone does.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
It is a tough life. I get up, have to find a hammock, get out my book, then I have to decide what sort of drink I want to have while relaxing. Today is different though, in the rainforest area and we're going to find some lava falling into the ocean nearby.

R

Back