Boxster gearbox anyone???

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Just wondering if anyone is actually using a Boxster gearbox in a GT40. Looks like a nice compact unit that won't hang out the rear end nor offset the CV's too much. These seem to be selling for around $2,000.00 - considerably less than the 911-based G50s. I would guess that the Boxster box is good for up to 375hp fairly reliably (sans drop clutch starts), despite the base and S boxsters not making this much power.

Looks like the input shaft is located above the output shaft and the shifter is on the LH side.

Cliff,
I think this box is similar to the current Audi boxes, as they are all made by Getrag (and they only make 3 types of Transaxle). Talk to Brandwood Shifters that Fran put me on to, they do some pretty slick cable systems that you could modify or it may work straight off.

Brett

The early Boxster 5 speed is the same basic 5 speed front drive gearbox as used in the Audi A4 thru A8. It's the model 012.

Andy1

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Interesting. Does anyone know of an SBF adapter that works for the Boxster box? Assuming this adapter is the same as the 012 Audi box I suppose.

Compared to the G50, I suppose the Boxster box would not be considered as robust, true?

Finally, does anyone know if there are material differences between it and the audi 012 box such as gear ratios, LSD, R&P, etc.

Thanks!

I'm not versed in Porsche facts, but the early 5 speed Boxster was not hugely powerful. The later ones had somewhat more power and they went to a 6 speed transaxle.

The 5 speed Boxster ratio's are the same as some Audi's, depending on the code. From memory (that's a disclaimer!!), code DVS has the same ratio's. R&P ratio for the Boxster is 3.89:1, which makes for a fairly low 1st gear @ 3.50:1 (for comparison, an 016 has a 3.60:1 1st). I don't know if Porsche offered LSD in the Boxster, but Quaiffe offers it for the model 012.

Perhaps our friends at GTA could provide more details.

Cheers,
Andy

Back