Brand-new ZFs available NOW!

Hi guys,

I've been nosing around the Pantera community, trying to come up with some ZF gearboxes to help the Superformance guys get their cars on the road. I remembered that one Pantera vendor had stumbled onto a huge stash of several dozen BMW M1 gearboxes and bought the lot, some years ago. I just talked to him.

He has four or five brand new M1 gearboxes just sitting in his shop, ready to go. These gearboxes are designed to run in the GT40 orientation, so no internal modifications are required. 3rd, 4th and 5th gears are the same as a Pantera box, while 1st and 2nd are lower (higher numerically) because the M1 had no torque. Standard 4.22 ring and pinion. Output flanges already set up for CV jointed drive shafts. Heavy-duty M1 case.

As a bonus feature, instead of the big honking shifter box hanging off the side of the transaxle, as the Pantera and Mangusta had, these boxes have an exposed shifter, as per (or at least much more like) the original GT40.

The only hitches? The input shaft is different from the Pantera/GT40 gearboxes. Thankfully it doesn't have to be changed to work in a Ford, but it does require a special pilot bushing, and a clutch disc with a BMW spline pattern as opposed to a Ford pattern. It also requires the use of an internal hydraulic throwout bearing.

Here's the deal. These gearboxes are available right now, for $8500. Pick up the phone, lay out your credit card, and it's on the way to you today. The fellow selling them is Marino Perna, of Pantera East, in St. Petersburg, FL. Hell of a nice guy, but not a ZF mechanic by any means. He will freely tell you what he does NOT know, which is refreshing. :)

www.panteraeast.com, or (727) 381-1151.

He told me that the necessary bits to install one of these in a GT40 (special pilot bushing, clutch disc, throwout bearing, and knowledge) are available from Dennis Quella of Pantera Performance Center. Dennis has already purchased many of Marino's gearboxes on behalf of GT40 customers.

www.panteraperformance.com, or (303) 660-9897.

He also suggested that Les Gray in Phoenix (who runs a Pantera shop, and among other things does all of Jim Click's ZF work for P/1021) as a go-to guy for getting one of these set up properly. I know Les has a couple of gearboxes sitting around gathering dust as well.

(480) 600-7842

So, if you haven't already placed an order with RBT, and are looking for other alternatives, there you go! :)

Back