New.... R C R 917K..... New

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Due to popular request from potential RCR917 customers we have decided to offer another variation of our RCR917.

This model is outwardly indistinguishable from our tube for tube recreation of the legendary 917.

Our new version is labeled the RCR917K and shares the same body panels and wheels as the RCR917.

It is available in RHD and LHD, and uses an RCR aluminum monocoque cockpit with a tubular engine bay structure similar to the original.

The monocoque structure allows us to deviate from the dimensionally diminutive cockpit of the original and accommodate a larger driver and passenger in more comfort, without sacrificing the timeless 917’s styling.

The fully sealed cockpit is also far more street user friendly for the more ambitious driver.

The RCR917K suspension geometry is a carry over from our original RCR917 and remains tubular steel in construction.New billet uprights, replicating the original in dimension, are also being used.

Using a fabricated monocoque that is far less labour intensive than our 300 hour plus tubular chassis fabrication allows the price to be inline with our current line of products.

We are very happy with the success we are having with our RCR917.

We will continue to manufacture our tubular chassis version, but we would like to offer a larger audience the opportunity to own their dream car, the RCR917K.

Last edited:

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
You have too many nice toys, how the hell am I gonna decide what to get next - MkIV or 917 lol. Are you still only doing this as Turnkey minus or will you be offering as deluxe plus?

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Jay,

Our original tubular chassis car is still only available as a turn key minus..

The aluminum/tube chassis version is only available as a deluxe style package .

Last edited:
Hi Fran,

Do you think your 917K will be large enough to accomodate my brother Paul? If so, he will probably be in the same boat as JayPSC - trying to decide between a Mark IV and the 917K.

Do you think you might have one of the 917K's in your shop when we come to visit in mid-April?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Peter,

your brother is a pretty big guy and he may be on the thresh hold of fitting comfortably....when he comes in April I expect we will have something for him to try.....

What a problem....MkIV or 917.....hhhmmm!!!!

Fran,

What are the engine options for the 2 variants of the 917K? Is it Porsche only? I know that you said an original flat 12 would fit, so I would think that the range of options would be pretty wide.

I know Porsche is the way to go, would an air cooled or water cooled be a better choice? I thought you mentioned air cooled flat 6's a while ago when talking about the tube chassis version. Can you get much more than 350hp out of these engines? Seems a little low for a car of this magnitude. Not that it wouldn’t still go quite well. A new 997 GT3 engine would fit the bill, but don't know if water cooled would fit back there. How about a twin turbo flat 6 would either air or water cooled fit? How about a Porsche V8 from the 928? Those might be pretty reasonable in price. Could you source an origonal flat 12 if someone had the cash?

What about a blasphemy like a Chevy LSx motor? Would that fit? Or a v12 from BMW or MB?

what are the differences in saftey between the 2 versions of the 917? Would you say the aluminum monoque is safer or the tube chassis, in the event of a crash?

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Dan, I believe the flat 12 cylinders are approx. 500K if you can find one. Don't forget to think about maintenance, repairs and insurance too, but hey, if you have the cash, why not. Personal opinion is for air cooled 6 cylinder, possibly turbo. The car is going to be light enough so a turbo really won't be necessary. 350hp should be plenty. I wouldn't clutter the car with a radiator and related bits. My two cents.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Dan,

from RCR we are only supporting Porsche aircooled powerplants for either variant.

I would definately say that the mono tub car is safer in a crash with significantly less chance of intrusion through the chassis walls ...

Our correct tubular chassis is still the purists way to go though.....:)

thanks for the quick response guys!

Fran, I completly understand your position, but I might suggest thinking of supporting the 928 v8 engine. If it would fit that is. It's water cooled, but a 6L or greater stroker 928 v8 would be sweet in this car. I bet way cheaper (maybe not the stroked version) than a 911 flat 6 too, at least for similar power.

ok, you win. you are building them after all :)

by the way thanks for bringing this project to market! This is one of the most awesome cars of all time, I can't even think what people would say if they saw it on the road.

Will the aluminum mono chassis version be street-able? You mentioned 2 people would fit?

And air-cooled does rule rockonsmile

This is just one of my dreams, a few others are 911's so I was thinking of doing something a bit different if I went with this kit, but I'm sure the air cooled flat 6 is perfect for this car.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hey there Dan,

One of my co-owners has an original porsche flat 12 which would be available for the right project. I can't provide his name/email here (you'd know the name if you follow business at all) but I can refer it along. It's as much about utilizing the engine in an appropriate installation as the price as these engines are unique and historically important. I suspect it could be had for $100K provided there's a meeting of the minds about utilization. Let me know if you're interested.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Any perspective buyer will also need an original transaxle as the drive is from the center of the crankshaft not the rear as is usual.

The transaxle has a long input shaft that runs forward to the bevel gear....that is halfway along the crankhaft.....

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Fran,

I am curious about the dogmatic position on air cooled only, especially for the mono variant. Is this dictated by fitment issues with V type powerplants or is it an issue with fitting and supplying adequate air to radiators? Or, is there something else altogether that prohibits alternate power plant choices?

Thanks,
Lynn

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Time and money.....R and D....

Engineering a completely separate cooling system and packaging it as to not remove any cabin space (already at a premium) is not worth the time and trouble for one or two units per year...besides this is a 917 not a Corvette or a GTM

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
CliffBeer said:
Hey there Dan,

One of my co-owners has an original porsche flat 12 which would be available for the right project. .

Cliff, how many people own you? :) :) Would the owner of that engine be Dale?

Back