RCR40 - Waterpump / pulley clearance

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I may be mistaken - but I understand that it might be necessary to create a bump or dome in the rear bulkhead to clear the waterpump / pulley of a SBF in the RCR40.

Will the use of the Ford Explorer timing chain cover, waterpump and harmonic balance offer enough clearance that one would not need to "Create" a space for it?? As I understand it - the Explorer configuration is about 1" shorter overall than the standard late model Ford 302 assembly.

Any pictures??? :)

Thanks!

Randy-
I can measure my car's engine face to water pump pukkey so you can get an idea. I'm using the Ford shorty water pump and pulleys.

Bill

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
As the RCR40 is dimensionally correct in body and chassis size and shape a bump in the firewall is ALWAYS necessary....see attached pic of an original GT40....this is the most extreme version I have ever seen in an original but you get the point.
The SVO short pump is the pump that should be used in most all GT40 applications....the balancer does not create a problem as that is behind the seat back.

Attachments

• original bulkhead (Small).jpg
    original bulkhead (Small).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 469
Randy-
It is 7-1/2" from the face of the cylinder head to the front of the water pump. I need about a 1" bubble. I'm going to look through McMaster-Carr for some small, round plastic or aluminum boxes that I can "tweak" to make a bubble.

Bill

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Bill D ,
that is the correct dimension for the ZF transaxle cars but it does vary due to the different gearbox output flange locations and bellhousing lengths on the various transaxles that the RCR chassis can accomodate..O16/G50/930 and ZF.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the QUICK responses guys...

Has anyone tried an electric pump like a CSI? Still need the bump?

I'm feeling like a challenge to fab up a new front cover / pump might be in order as I'm not crazy about the idea of "The Bump"... Although I certainly understand why it's there.
I guess I'm just miffed that I never noticed it in the cars that I've looked at..

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Randy,

Pantera1889 has used an inline electric waterpump that requires no bump...check his build thread as you can see it mounted close to the radiator.

I have recently gone through options for removing the standard water pump and replacing with a remote. You might want to check out the Meziere web site they have an electric pump (WP336) that does 55 gal per minute but not much pressure, they have a remote mechanical pump ( a bit like a dry sump pump) that provides similar flow rates but much better pressure (WP 430) We are proceeding with the remote mechanical pump to deal with quite high horse power figures and two in line heat exchange units for engine oil cooler and gear box cooler all of which will require as much flow and pressure as we can be acheive.

www.mezier.com

Back