RCR40 - Wheel Wells / Splash panels

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
In Bill D's build thread, I noticed that I could see his LF upper control arm through the missing nostril panel hole.
I had asked if this was normal or if there was a splash shield missing or ???

One of the responses was;

VintageVenom said:
Dean,
With respect to the control arm being visible, that area should not be closed. Don't forget that you have significant air flow entering from the nose. It has to have escape routes, especially if your car has the early nose insert.

I noticed on this picture of Jonathan S build that it looks like maybe there is a panel;

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17826&stc=1&d=1171377776

So - are there panels front and rear? Or...

Thanks guys..

The splash shield you are noticing on my car is the outside of the foot box. The space behind the radiator is open to the wheel wells. If you wanted you could box it in to use it as a trunk but it would be a lot of work and yield little useable space.

This photo may help clear up your question:

Attachments

• IM000481.JPG
    IM000481.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 472

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Jonathan.. I guess I'm just wondering how much debris would be collected up in that area if it's not sealed up.. C4 Corvettes have a plastic wheel house that is actually attached to the bottom of the front body that seals up against the front/rear and sides of the wheel well panels/skirts when the front end is lowered into position. That might be an option here.

Just thinking and planning..

Thanks!

Randy-
The open area is not as big as you might think. There is an inner fiberglass panel that is used to keep out road debris from the front area. If you look closely in th picture blow, you can just make it out.
spa%20fire%20002.jpg

Bill

Back