Al's KVA/GTD

And so the first build post. The car was collected and brought back to Bath to the workshop of Bath Performance Cars. I saw Gary build a Cobra last year and was really impressed, so when he suggested he might be prepared to 'do' a 40 for me, I started thinking. I saw a car on ebay, then checked around for other unfinished projects. I found this car, which belonged to John Bransgrove. It is a KVA frame with GTD front and back sections. The glass was all KVA mk3, but I decided to go Mk 1 (which I think was John's intention). I have ordered bodywork from Chris Melia, and hoping it will be here in a couple of weeks.

2 engines came with the project- 1 a "holding lump" with the bell housing and gearbox, and the real one in waiting. This later one is 302 block built by Repower, and lots of boxes of nice things.

Gary of BPC will do most of the work, with moi painting/sourcing bits/learning/cleaning mastic off things/whatever...

So what has happened in the last 2 weeks? Welding! Gary has cleaned up some of the joins and strengthened things up. He has also cut/welded/strengthened to allow a 2 1/2" engine drop. Below are few pictures.

I have rebuilt a set of instruments for the car (I have 6 spare 52mm oil pressure gauges), sourced some headlights (NOS 2cv), sorted some fans, and been generally running about like a blue arsed fly.

I hope to paint the lot tomorrow with a first coat of black, while Gary starts the engine build. I am hoping to set up a time-lapse camera on the engine and will post a link to the results.

Attachments

• arrival.jpg
    arrival.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,338
  • arrival2.jpg
    arrival2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,348
  • paint_post_weld.jpg
    paint_post_weld.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Back_post_weld.jpg
    Back_post_weld.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,302
  • post_weld_cab.jpg
    post_weld_cab.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,308
Well Martin, it's like this-
4 year old daughter wants me to paint it like Barbie's car
14 year old son wants it F***** red
ex would have wanted it Cadbury purple

So it's going to be a gun metal grey (metalic) with dark metalic blue. Which body and which over stripes I have not decided. In truth I might change my mind. If I go on to build another car with the spare engine and mk 3 bit and spare dials, I quite fancy the experimental modernist patterns they tried on battleships in WW1.

cheers al

below is daughter with mate preparing for Le Mans last year

Attachments

• lemans.jpg
    lemans.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,205
Sorry! I am going to book in the next coup[e of days. Our intention is to finish the car for Le Mans... Watch this space! I will go down with my mates but are looking forward to meeting up with any '40 mob who are also going down.

Last year was my first year (it was the first year I drove anything that could keep up and/or not disgrace my mates). We did get funny looks from the purists in our "rice bashers" (gtr32/driftish 200sx/soarer 2.5tt) but young sunburnt Danes seemed to rather like them. I guess it's all those computer games.

Friday... I got most of the chassis in black today. My son his starts his half-term holidays today, so tomorrow is more painting and then sorting a sump, with his aid. We are going to use a fairly standard one for the moment, with a windage tray. We will also prep the steering rack and column (Triumph). These have been test fitted.

So next week we are on for collection of the gear linkage and pedal box from Southern GT, and will start paneling once a second coat of paint is dry and hard. A set of Panels for the gtd front end came with the project, but the rest (including the bulkhead) Gary is going to make up. The first 2 questions this raises are-

1). Do people make patterns in cardboard, and test fit these? I think this is the way we are going to go.

2).We had a discussion about what to do with the sills. Checker plate is fine if anybody dares stand on it, but is rough on the elbow and hard to finish on the neatly on edges. Stainless might get stratched. Ali the same. I'm not keen on carpet that far out... So we think we are going to use thick ali and cover it with vinyl to match the dash. Be interested in opinions.

We also ordered a pair of ford racing rocker covers, and a conversion kit for the Mallory dist., and a new coil.

More to follow soon.

Al
You will need some decent sound proofing between the engine and cockpit. I have just removed the carpet from the firewall in my car and the noise level has gone up dramatically. In the new car I intend to carpet the firewall and two pack paint the rest satin black. I will be producing a carpet set for the car for long journeys to make the car more comfortable.

Regards Martin.

Thanks Martin.
It is our intention to sandwich some sound deaden foam or such in the fire wall. I have few friends in the sound studio biz, and I am going to consult with them about it. My guess is they will tell me to fill the space with sand- Fireproof and sound deadening, but I think it would taking things a little too far. We are going to have carpet on the floor and up to the tops of the sills, but I am not sure about the firewall. I rather like your idea of a removable panel of carpet to go over it.

I noticed on one of the build strands that someone had wool waste type underlay on the floor. I am not sure how they intended to cover it. Cheers al

Things progress... Today I headed down to Southern GT to pick up a gear linkage and pedal box. Mick has produced what I can only describe as 'Finested Kind', and what is more delivery was faster than I could have hoped for. Many Thanks! Both items are real works of craftsmanship.

So arriving back at Bath Performance Cars I discovered that Gary had most of the engine together. Joy upon joy. My son and I have almost finished painting the chassis and we decided to place the floor pans in to work out the pedal positions, fixing points for the safety harness, and placement of the gear shifter etc. We even put on one of the door and I discovered I can sit in the car with a little headroom. I will need a Gurney bump if I'm to wear a helmet at any point.

Then there is more joy as Chris Melia says the body bits will be ready end of next week. I am fair chuffed...

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,020
  • engine01.jpg
    engine01.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 992
  • pedals.jpg
    pedals.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,041

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Alan

Take lots of photos and get them on a laptop
For SVA they will want to see things like seat belt anchor points - but a photo does well and saves stripping out panels for the jobsworth!

also make sure your photos show trianulation of the frame around the seat belt anchor points.

also need to be able to show pedal mount points (if not easily visible) and also handbrake mounting points (Some of this stuff sort of disappears in the build!)

Ian

Good to meet you as well. i hope the car does get done asap. Looking forward to spaced out grin upon the mush. Hope your build comes on as quick. When are you hoping for?

Today was all about pattern cutting. While Gary spent his time working out the layout for teh cooling pipes, I put my dress making skills to work on cutting patterns for the bulkhead and rear of the car. I got most of it done roughly... This was done in card and I will set about produing a final set of cleaned and 'tightened' patterns next week. It was very odd seeing the car rigged out in cardboard. I shall post photos when I get the chance as I forgot the camera. It really went very well. Pity cardboard has such low fire and water resistance or we could finish the chassis in a trice.

Last edited:
Been a while since I posted on here but we have been busy. The front end is now paneled and panels cut for the back. The gear mec. and pedal box are in and as is suspension all round. These pics were grabbed about a week ago. Since then we have mounted wheels and done a rough body fit.... more soon. Sorry about the rough pics, but mind is else where. cheers al

Attachments

• frontwithjunk.jpg
    frontwithjunk.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 786
  • morejunkatfront.jpg
    morejunkatfront.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 810

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Alan, I got caught up in some bathroom tiling for the lady this weekend.... made her pay for it though ;-) as I've said before I'm in Bath regularly so I'm sure we will meet soon.... car looks great....

Andy

Back