gearbox recomendations please

hi guys...need your help....have a kva mk3 and the engine is a 351 winston v8......what gearbox would you go for...audi100?????dont have a massive budget so would be good to pull something out from a scrap yard, the present gearbox is a citreon but this is shot to pieces...any ideas, i am based in the uk..cheers

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jim,

You might want to work on some of the other parts of the car for now and bide your time. With all of the new transaxles being developed at the moment, a suitable transaxle that is already setup might come on the market as people replace their existing gearboxes with one of new ones. This might be the most economical route to go and it would be more of a "known" quantity than getting one from the breakers (who knows, you could end up with another trashed gearbox from them.)

Lynn

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
James, you pretty much answered your own question - want to pull something from scrap yard. What is available to you? You don't advise as to torque ratings of the engine. Most common choices are ZF and Porsche boxes - 911/930 turbo, G50 and possibly 915. What about an adapter? Flywheel? Do you have them or know where to source them? My preference is the Porsche box. I believe the turbo boxes to be stronger and more readily available then the zf. Also more Porsche parts and rebuilders in my neck of the woods. Good luck.

If your looking at finding a box at a scrap yard, the Porsche and ZF options I believe are out, nearly all Porsches are dismantled and the box hardly touches the floor as they are quite sought after.

One exception may be the Boxster Gearbox, not used that much by builders and handling 250 maybe 300bhp, also all setup the right way round no flipping the box etc.

The other box you might keep an eye out for is the Audi A6 2.5 TD box this and a few other Audi variants are as good as you get from Audi, some state good for 350Bhp.

Some Renault boxes still turn up, the car your looking for is the Renault 21 Turbo, but some Renault 25's had a good box as well, lots of mods for the renault Box.

Lastly the Lotus Esprit gearbox, based on the Renault, but with some mods.

Happy Hunting

Back