Racing at Calder Park yesterday 17th feb 07

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
This meeting caught me a little by surprise as I had to complete some of the upgrades the 40 was having, sooner than expected. The race season normally starts for me in April. In Australia Feb is usually hot and yesterday no one was surprised when the mercury rose to 38 degrees centigrade. Being a Kiwi (born in NZ) Invercargill to be exact, it rains a lot and high summer temps were more like mid 20 degrees. Anyway in 26 years of living here i have got used to it, but still hate anything over 30.
Calder Park is situated 25km north-west of Melbourne and is a complex consisting of- A disused Nascar track 1.83km, National Circuit 2.28km, Club Circuit 1.45km (basically a shortened large track) and a 1/4 mile Drag Strip (using the long straight of the National circuit). One of the negatives of this track sharing is the VHT they use for the Drags which gives huge grip off the start in the dry but treacherous in the wet to a point where, if it rains the meetings are called off.
Yesterday we were scheduled to have seperate practices on the National and club circuit in the morning, 2-8 lap races in the afternoon and 2-6 lap races at night on the club circuit (under lights).
My day started when I got out of bed at 5.30am (you have to be keen) and headed off to my factory to pick up the car which I'd loaded on the trailer the night before.I arrived at the circuit at about 8am leaving enough time to get to scrutineering at 8:40am. Because of my late entry I had missed out on a garage so I moved a couple of times trying to find a location in the pits in preparation for a long day in the hot sun. Just then (lets call it GT40 luck) I ran into Greg who is the leader of the Kangan Batman Tafe College and he invited me into his garage that he has for his students to gain practical experience on race car repairs.I would have to say sometimes the GT40 opens doors, either that or he likes me.
He even had carpet on the floor but no it wasn't red.I will admit to drinking lots of his water and then returning it to his carpet in the form of sweat, absolutely dripping off me after a race.
The Sports cars couldn't make up a full grid so they combined us with others and called it Super TT.
First outing for Qualifying on the National circuit and turn 1 is a sweeper turning 180 degrees, short run to a right hander and quick left, then up over Mount Jane (Aussie Joke it's a tiny mound) and then onto a tricky chicane, along the back straight to a 90 degree right hander, quick left and power on to a tight sweeper leading back to the long straight. I take a lap to warm things up and then into turn 1 after hard braking and the car didn't want to pull up. Mmm I thought the new front brakes need a bit more bedding in and I was cautious for the remainder of the session and I was 5th fastest. Next came the qualifying on the club circuit and being the first time on this shortened straight I caught myself out and headed off onto the grass, got myself together and worked the corners out but finished in 7th. I was still trying to work out the corner gearing and realized I had to get into 2nd gear for both circuits at turn 1.
Race 1 and the car as usual rocketed off the line and through to first place I held this for a couple of laps before a Porsche GT2 Turbo took it off me and he (Harry) basically became my nemisis for the remainder of the meeting. I kept in close contact with him and I fended off a hard charging Lotus 7 clubman behind.I spoke to the clubman owner later and he was impressed with how my car now gets out of corners and launches.Trust me I can feel that inside too.So I finished 2nd and very happy that the brakes were fine too.
Race 2 much the same except a V8 Supercar got past me and I finished in 3rd still happy.
Race 3 at night under lights.Now I don't normally like driving in the dark from past experience but this was different and the track was well enough lit I had the confidence to go hard. Starting in 7th was no problem and I rocketed in behind the clubman. I spent the whole 6 laps watching the clubman all over Harry (porsche) on the tight track but even the short straight allowed the Porsche to pull away.The V8 supercar never got near me and I finished 3rd.
Rage 4 and the clubman didn't show up to the grid so I slotted in behind the Porsche and was happy enough to take 2nd place.
So for the day I finished with 2-2nd places and 2-3rd places.Best results so far and the car reliable as hell and handling is really impressive, we will move up from here.
Ross

Well done Ross!
Great to hear the car is so much improved.
I'm with you on temp's, it sat on 38 most of today and I'm south of Hobart!

Tim.

Well done Ross. Do you have any lap times? I was there a coulple of weeks ago too competing in the MSCA sprints and it was a 38deg day then too. Purist I aint... I ran the whole day with the air-con on :D

Go Ross. Stick it to them. And I really enjoyed reading your detailed account. Thanks for posting that for us. Although the GT40 has a bit of a point and squirt image, it actually seems to be a very fast cornering car. Steve Shedden's DRB here in Sydney has surprised WRX STI drivers with its cornering speed and rapid exit. DRB's are a solid car too, not built for lightness like a Europa.
You sound really confident about the car's ability now, which should help get the most out of it.
Dalton

Ron Earp

Admin
Good job Ross, nice to hear about some good finishes and a happy ending! I like the mention of "racer hours" in your post. I was on racer hour time yesterday myself. Folks that don't do this sort of thing don't generally understand the time and effort into doing it - you've got to really want it to make it happen. Good on you! Looking forward to hearing more about the season as it progresses.

Ron

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Here are the times
Race 1/ Porshe-103.18
GT40 - 103.9
V8SC - 102.9

Race 2/ Porsche-102.3
V8SC -102.9
GT40 -103.8

Race 3/ Porsche-43.9
clubman7-43.7
GT40 -43.9

Race 4/ Porsche-43.3
GT40 -43.8
V8SC -43.6

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep posting results through the year.
Ross:)

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Iain
I didn't record an exact cockpit temp but I can tell you the alloy roll bar adjustor knob was too hot to touch. Thankfully the races were short and the profuse sweating was only apparent on the cool down lap.
Ross

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ross, I only just caught up with this, well done it sounds like the work you have put in is paying dividends.
Thanks for the detailed report, it is good to hear it from the horses mouth.

Hey Ross well done
When you say V8 SC what model are we talking?
Your achievements give all who are intending to compete
in GT40's lots of hope.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Ross -
Interesting account of a successful day. Thanks!

How did your Motec work? Did you do any adjustments for various temperatures when moving from day to night?

Thanks,
Steve

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Pete- your being nice to me, I won't mention the cricket.

Dave S- the V8 Supercar was an older model EL or AU has been a Konica car as well.I spoke to the driver, was his first race meeting so he will get faster I think. He qualified fast with a 1min 2sec lap but was hot and cold during the race.

Steve- Motec works great ( I have to say that Mr Motec is a friend of mine). There is no need to fiddle as there is an air temp compensation table for air/fuel ratio in the computer. Actually the air temp was still very high that night as the fluids I lost can confirm.

Ross

Would love to see some footage of the racing, Was any of the racing
televised? If so I want a tape, sorry DVD.
Ross I think we need a full spec sheet on your car including pics as I can't
seem to find many pics of your RF.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Dave
There are photos of me racing among my earlier posts to the racetrack threads. Our races are shown on CH31 in Melbourne but thats about it. I did have incar video up on my website a year or so ago but my ISP can't have liked it. I will try to get a camera in my car for display on the forum this year. I really want good quality though. I'll have to rewrite my cars spec as I've changed and upgraded so many things.Is there any specific area you'd like to start with?
Ross

Ross
I think your Gt is fairly unique when it comes to racing (In Australia)and I would like see and read as much as I can as when my DRB is finished I'm heading to the track myself. I would like to see the following
Weight
spring rates
Rollbar diameters
Wheel alignment specs
cooling system specs
pics of the rollcage
pics of the engine and gearbox inc specs
Rim sizes
Oh and a general article on how she handles under brakes, accelerating
out of corners that sort of thing.
:D

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dave, You missed brake spec. :lol:

Watch it Ross!!

They probably only want to know so they can build a lighter car with bigger rubber, honkier donk, to make you work for it. :poke:

Anyway wouldn't it be great to see a handful of GT40's out there together, going for it hammer and tongs! :chug:

Glad you're finally getting it sorted. One thing with race cars, they are never finished. They are always a "work in progress".

Cheers

Russ

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Look what arrived in the mail yesterday.

Attachments

• CIMG0328 (640 x 480).jpg
    CIMG0328 (640 x 480).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 308
Back