Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm just curious. I noticed tonight that I (and a number of other people) now have a -1 reputation.
I'm really curious how this came about. I've tried to add value to the forums as I really believe in electronic communities.
It would appear that I have done something to someone (unintentionally I assure you) that has earned me this RED mark...

Whoever this person may be - I apologize for having rubbed you the wrong way..

Thank you for the bandwidth...

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
I hope the rep system will be used as it was intended to be used. Every sustainable organization has checks and balances that promote proper conduct. Long story short, but IMO Ferrari Chat is an interesting study in growth and then decline limited by people losing sight of the idea that trust comes through truth and help. Proper conduct was never promoted.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
My reputation has been attacked down from 4 to 1 green. It doesn't really bother me and it was most likely due to a misunderstanding as I don't go out of my way to upset anyone. I personally couldn't get upset with a fellow Forum member enough to fiddle with their rep. I have met so many good people on this website across the world and I keep coming back beacause of it. As an example- I placed a call for help on this site and a member answered my call, he drove for more than an hour to pick up a part and deliver it to a hotel in SoCal for an aquaintance of mine to bring back to Australia, now he is a true friend. Many thanks to Ron and all the others that have made this site what it is.
Ross

Indeed Ross.

After a while you get to knoe the helpful people, and those whose opinions you value above others.

Until this post came up I must admit I hadn't paid a great deal of attention to the Rep Power score. Thanks to those that have given me value though ;)

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Ross-

You should try running for office: if you were at 1 green yesterday (when you posted), you're at 13 now!! That's some serious street cred. Hats off to you sir!

Keep up the good fight...

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
I'll second John's comments....indeed Ross.

I agree whole heartedly. This is the only forum which I participate. Despite the fact that my companies goods are discussed on another....:eek: (aka the vintage mustang forums). I have found this forum unique in that the guys who hang here are helpful, freindly and actually knowledgable. Not just a lot of banter (noise). Personally, I don't have time to sift through it all.

I too have not paid any attention to the rep. scores up till now, but will begin to do so, and help those out who I consider to be upstanding citizens of our community. I am not into bashing, so don't think I could ever get upset enough with someone to give negatives, but I do believe in giving kudos.

R

HILLY

Supporter
Ditto Rob, although I have on occasions used the rep facility, I am not sure why you can leave a message, but the recipient has no idea who or why they have received an addition to their rep be it either positive or negative. Shouldn’t the recipient be able to review their rep responses even if they don’t know who submitted it?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Chris K- I haven't suddenly scored a lot of reputation. The way it works as I understand it, is the number applies to the number of posts you've made and the reputation is the green or red blocks to the right of the number.I see I now have 2 green blocks so I'm on my way back up. Please correct me if I'm wrong chaps.
Ross

I'm one of those that's never taken much notice of it, although I admit that I have noticed the red ones occasionally. It's certainly not something I've played with and nor am I likely to.

Tim.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Tim,

Like you, I never payed those little boxes any attention until recently. As Steve says, when used properly it is a very good tool especially for the nubee who doesn't know any of us from Adam's house cat. It gives him some guide as to how much confidence he can put in someone's advice. Not a perfect gauge, but for the new guy, it's the best he's got for a while. Once he has been here a while, he can develop his own opinion on who provides information that is relevant and accurate for him.

I will say that with all the frapp about multiple IDs, the misuse and abuse of the reputation system has had as much, if not more, impact than the existence of the multiple IDs. It is the fact that multiple IDs were used to subvert the purpose of the reputation system by carrying out personal vendettas using the system as a weapon. That is not why it is there! Ding someone if they repeatedly give bad or wrong advice; or, if they state opinion or theory as fact without clearly identifying it as such, as in "IMHO." In the same vein, if someone repeatedly supplies you with good information that would have taken you 10 times as long to dig out, reward them with some brownie points with the thought in mind that you are saying, "new guy, pay attention to what this fellow says: he knows his $#!+."

From what we can tell, the abuse has been minimal. But, we are paying more attention to what happens (BTW, all reputation actions are recorded by the forum software, so there is no doubt about who is doing what to whom.) If it appears that the system is not providing its intended benefits because of misuse, it will just be turned off. That would be a shame because it can be a valuable tool.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn,
Can you shed some light on the number next to the boxes vs. the box count itself? I get the color rating....no need to explain that aspect..:D

Thanks,
Rob

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Reputation System (as best I can describe it :cool:

You must have a minimum of 1 post and 1 pt. before you can touch anyone else's reputation. But you get 3 pts. when you register as a user.

Posts are key: the more you post the more points you get AND the more points you give (or take away) to another member. And you do get 1 pt/year for just being a member.

Also, as your reputation goes up the amount that you effect others buy goes up.

You can only hit 25 users/day (big restriction, right?) And, you must hit at least 5 other people before you can return to someone and hit them again.

That is basically how it works. OH! and most importantly ADMINS are just like everyone else!

Lynn

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
llarsen said:
OH! and most importantly ADMINS are just like everyone else! Lynn

OK!!! You're going down, monkey boy!!

Perhaps we should just have have a choice of ratings:

*Moron
*Dain Bramaged
*Trainable
*Shows signs of walking upright
*Actually smart or just hides it well
*Fully functional in the modern world
*Einstein's "phone-a-friend" on "Millionaire"

My reputation is shakey at best, I may not be "cheap" but I am easy!!!

Rick

Back