Adapter Plates for 930s / G50s

Ron Earp

Admin
Who has recently managed to get a SBF adapter plate/flywheel/clutch/PP for a 930 or G50 from KED? Does anyone have one on order? And if you received it when did you order it?

In my estimation this would be the number one business opportunity for someone interested in GT40s or mid-engine cars - build these parts for customers and actually deliver them when ordered/promised. KED has zero competition so I think they simply work on their own California time scale.

Thanks,
Ron

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've been trying to get information from them for the last 5 weeks in email. It has taken that long to get 3 answers.
It's one of those deals where you send them an email with 3 questions in it.
They respond needing more information for the 1st question and give you nothing for the other 2 questions.
You respond back with more info on Q1 and ask again for Q2 and Q3 info as well.
They answer Q3 and forget about Q1 and Q2.

It's clear that while they may be very competent machinests, they are far from electronically savy..

It's looking like spending time on the phone with them during the work-day is the only way to really get the job done.
Myself I like to be able to shift time and use email so I not only have a track with Q's and A's but I can do this on my time and not on my company's time.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sandy said:
That hurt Ron :)

Sandy
I'm sorry.

I'm an East Coast boy who has to travel in CA to do work every few months. We'll have a demo set for 1pm PST that I confirm the day before. After getting up at 4am, flying to CA (about 6.5 hours flying time plus airport time), renting a car, driving to the customer site, and generally busting my ass to get there the typically response is something like

"Aw, man, we forgot you were coming. And, well, like John, the guy that is running the assay, like, well he's off today. Let's go eat lunch, then maybe tomorrow you could come in at 10am, when we start work, and we could try again."

My conversations with KED have been similar.

Ron

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Wasn't Flatchat doing adapter plates and flywheels? I'm sure if you got his stuff he would suss out clutch info for you so you could just get those bought in parts Stateside. Freight costs might be a little higher but I bet the service would be miles better.

Cheers

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Attachments

• Picture 201.jpg
    Picture 201.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 345

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Chris,

Are your adapter plates dimensionally compatible with other Kennedy components? (I have a Kennedy flywheel and a Patrick/Centerforce clutch setup.) PM or email pricing if you get chance.

Thanks,
Lynn

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn, just a general answer here regarding all adaptor plates. The only dimension that affects anything is the effective thickness of the adaptor after machining. You can bet different brands will all be within a few mm. of each other. It's just a matter of adjusting the position of the release bearing, if necessary. Probably not necessary. If it is going into an existing installation maybe slotting (or remaking) engine or trans mounts, if necessary. There again depending on how things are mounted, that may not be required either. Nothing major about it.

I'll leave Chris to comment on the specifics of his setup.

Cheers

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chris - I'm also interested - Here's my info;

302 Ford - G50 (87-89 Bellhousing)

I am looking at two options for flywheel;
1) 50oz balance
2) Neutrally balanced (we might build a mild internally balanced stroker)

I won't need an adapter plate as it comes with the car.

I believe I'll need some sort of special pilot bearing or adapter.

Let me know what Pressure Plates and Clutch Disks would work.

Feel free to email me rvandeloo (at) gmail.com

I'm in the states.

Thanks!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I talked at length with Chris this evening....

I am trying to persuade him offer the flywheels match balanced as currently he does not....

I told Chris that I would gladly stock the flywheels and negate my need to deal with KEP....that way customers would only have to source off the shelf clutch and starters for their power/comp.ratio engine specs...no custom parts.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
gt40fran said:
I talked at length with Chris this evening....

I am trying to persuade him offer the flywheels match balanced as currently he does not....

I told Chris that I would gladly stock the flywheels and negate my need to deal with KEP....that way customers would only have to source off the shelf clutch and starters for their power/comp.ratio engine specs...no custom parts.

"Match Balanced" ??? I guess I've not heard that term.

When I build an engine, I have the flywheel and harmonic balancer included in the balancing.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Randy,

the issue is that people buy "crate" engines from various companies like Roush...the flywheels are not a standard fullsize Ford component and would have to be supplied prior to the engine build....crate engines are off the shelf and not built to order...hence its would be improbable that many larger companies would want to rebalance a previously built "crate" engine package...
If you purchased a new flywheel from Summit/JEGS that came already set up with a 50oz imbalance factor built in,would you disassemble your production Mustang engine in your street car and have it rebalanced for the new flywheel...??
Obviously with a custom built engine , balancing the complete rotating assembly is the correct way to go.....

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Sounds like a great deal, Fran.;) The flywheels are fully machined from billet 1045 steel . With every flywheel comes a pilot bearing and a list of Porsche clutch parts to be sourced (clutch plate,pressure plate,ring gear,thro-out bearing) Windsor flywheels come 28oz,50oz and neutral From the US please direct your orders to Fran at RCR:eek:

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Russ,

It really wasn't the throw out bearing I was concerned about (more than enough adjustabitlity there to deal with the thickness variation.)

While you are correct that thickness variation is the only dimension that will vary appreciably, it is the effect on starter location with respect to the ring gear on the clutch cover that I was more concerned with. This becomes a function of the "system", which may or may not be dimensionally different enough between the two manufacturers to cause starter engagment issues when mixing and matching parts.

Lynn

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
gt40fran said:
If you purchased a new flywheel from Summit/JEGS that came already set up with a 50oz imbalance factor built in,would you disassemble your production Mustang engine in your street car and have it rebalanced for the new flywheel...??
Obviously with a custom built engine , balancing the complete rotating assembly is the correct way to go.....

Hi Fran,

Typical "Factory" balancing of the reciprocating assembly is toleranced at +/- 3 Grams.
When I have my assemblies balanced, I ask that first the flywheel be balanced with a bob-weight to bring it to a 50 oz imbalance with the bob-weight being precisely 50oz. There is typically a little material that needs to be removed from the backside (faces engine) of the flywheel to achieve this, but it's never really much material at all.
The same thing is done with the harmonic balancer.
Then the entire reciprocating is balanced.
If I ever need to replace either the harmonic balancer or flywheel, I can simply bring those components to the machine shop and have them bob-weight balanced to return my engine to it's balanced state of +/- .5G (race) or +/- 1G (street).

I will be doing the very same thing when you ship me my new flywheel from Chris. :)

To answer your question about using the flywheel directly from Summit or Jegs - Most people would bolt them on and never realize the difference of the balancing tolerance. Some of us would though.. :)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Randy,

I agree....and I am well aware of race engine tolerances...

Again as I mentioned, many customers buy ready built crate engines, and being able to offer a factory imbalanced flywheel will provide a better starting place for many.

When someone is ready to assemble their Carillos and Bryant crankshaft they will still be able rebalance to their specific tolerance...

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
It sounds like Chris has the balance issue covered in that he is offering 28 oz(early), 50 oz (late) and neutrally balanced flywheels (race; requires rotating assembly balancing.) Very standardized! And, should be able to suit anybody's needs.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
gt40fran said:
Randy,

I agree....and I am well aware of race engine tolerances...

Again as I mentioned, many customers buy ready built crate engines, and being able to offer a factory imbalanced flywheel will provide a better starting place for many.

When someone is ready to assemble their Carillos and Bryant crankshaft they will still be able rebalance to their specific tolerance...

Hi Fran - I knew that you would be aware of the tolerances - I left that in there for some who may not know. Remember the value that threads like these may bring to those in search of answers..

I believe that you and I are really singing from the same sheet of music just had the lyrics a little different.. :)

I'll be calling soon (this week)...

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
llarsen said:
Russ,

It really wasn't the throw out bearing I was concerned about (more than enough adjustabitlity there to deal with the thickness variation.)

While you are correct that thickness variation is the only dimension that will vary appreciably, it is the effect on starter location with respect to the ring gear on the clutch cover that I was more concerned with. This becomes a function of the "system", which may or may not be dimensionally different enough between the two manufacturers to cause starter engagment issues when mixing and matching parts.

Lynn

Lynn,

Sometimes, even I can't believe how thick I am! :eek:

Nevertheless the engagement issue is again easily overcome.

It would be nice to think that my post re Flatchat was the catylist for him and Fran getting together on this issue. But in reallity they'd probably already been in discussion for weeks!

Cheers

Back