917 ...sofa

Paolo,

You might be interested to know that i loaned Mark Walklett the front end of a 917 so that he could take a mould from it to make this sofa. Although it has had to be modified to make it user friendly, the wings and headlights are 100% accurate.

Graham.

I know this is an old thread. Thought I'd resarect it for newer folks (like me) Really cool, I've seen others somewhat like it. Like 57 Chevys or Fords etc. Wouldn't really be too hard to do if I had a nose to use for a mold. A McLaren would be cool too say a M-1 or M-6 Lola T-70? The main thing would be getting the upholstry right.
Mike S.

Mike,

you are quite right. It would not be difficult to do similar for so many different cars.

Mark set out to do the very best quality seat possible, especially as he had to have Gulf approval, but it would be very straightforward to do a "conversion" in not so much fine detail or finish. Certainly would be cheaper and possibly more user friendly without worrying about damaging such an immaculate product (drinks spill, leather tear or scuff, burn mark, cat/dog claw scratch,etc) if you are doing a one off for yourself.

As he wanted to market these seats to a discerning market place, they really did need to be perfect, and with that level of work there has to be a price tag.

Lola T70, GT40, McClaren, etc, etc, would all work well.

There's no question that to get THAT accurate an upholstry. Would not only be expensive, but hard to find a good person to work with you & do it correctly. Thus the end product being also expensive to us mear mortals LOL One of simular design but with say a racing stripe could be easier & less expensive. Sure gives me some ideas :) Now who has a nose I can borrow?
Mike S.

Mike ,

ask Fran if he can have a part nose and wings knocked up cheaply for you. It is 100% accurate as i supplied the original pattern for him to use.
You can then cut and shut and make a 917 sofa to your specification.

Glenn M

Supporter
As they used to say on Blue Peter;Here's one I prepared earlier!

Not a 917 but a definite classic - a 1958 Cadillac. I did it the other way round though and used the back seat from the car and made the frame to hold it. They made them well in those days - proper spring frame cushions and, of course, with the central armrest. It's very comfortable.

Glenn

Attachments

• Cad Sofa 2.jpg
    Cad Sofa 2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 235
  • Cad Sofa.jpg
    Cad Sofa.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 249

Glenn M

Supporter
To keep the thread more on track, here's one a friend of mine made;

Attachments

• IMG_6820.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_6839.jpg
    IMG_6839.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 240
Belly up to the 917? LOL Would make a cool wet bar. Yes most of the "car" sofas/love seats. Were made from the rear ends of like 1957 Chevys. You sit in the trunk, but I've seen noses done too.
Mike S.

Back