Strange gearbox

I was recently sent this photo, and didn't think much of it, until I glanced at

the gearbox, and noticed that it has a pair of CHAINS driving the axles!

Anybody know this car, the history of it, and it's gearbox? Just curious.

The photo was taken at the Phillip Island Historics in Australia, if that helps.

Bill

Attachments

• Phillip Island Historic Meeting - 10-11 March 2007 079.jpg
    Phillip Island Historic Meeting - 10-11 March 2007 079.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 635

Keith

Could be a bike engine - chain driven differential although the layout looks a little odd. Saw something similar at Brands some time ago - a Kawasaki powered spaceframe with Mini body and chains to a diff. Did it go or what!

I think they call them Legends these days.

I am pretty sure this is an american V-8 lump to a standard front-engine rear-drive Trans bolted to a modified rear-end diff. Take the axle tubes etc. off of the diff and put chain drives moving forward to the actual axle drives that turn the wheels. BillE was developing something like this for his Giant GT40 replica about a year ago on this site.

Malcolm

Supporter
Does it say March Corvette in white letters on the back of the car? Wasn't there a picture of a blue March in one of Ross's recent threads with a similar drivetrain?

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
This is the Stanton Corvette. A somewhat iconic NZ built sports racer in it's day.
Ross has a photo of the rear of the car with body off on this thread http://www.gt40s.com/forum/racetrac...sland-historic-meeting.html?highlight=Stanton

Here's how he described it:-

"A pretty unique car that I remember from my younger years.The Stanton Corvette. A pioneering New Zealand built sports car that pre dates Bruce Mclaren's first Chev powered CanAm car by more than 2 years.Built in 1964 by brothers Maurie and Charlie Stanton. Mid engine, space frame was the foreerunner of the big banger sports cars powered by V8 engines.
New Zealand's first rear engined sports car powered by a Chev Corvette engine, mated to a Borg Warner T10 gearbox, 1935 ford V8 diff, 500hp.
The unique chain drive has always been a talking point and I remember it originally had exhaust pipes exiting the body straight up a wonderful sight and sound."

I well remember the awesome acceleration and speed and sound of this car as it galloped past the much slower opposition of the time. In it's heyday raced IIRC by Geoff Mardon, a speedway bike rider of some note internationally who went on to race some of the F5000 NZ built Begg cars for George Begg.

Cheers

A T-10 to a 1935 Ford differential? That IS serious "backyard engineering"!

Certainly a different approach to a mid-engine "transaxle"!

Thanks for the info!

Bill

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
A T-10 to a 1935 Ford differential? That IS serious "backyard engineering"!

Certainly a different approach to a mid-engine "transaxle"!

Thanks for the info!

Bill

Yeah, and note the "backyard engineered" wheels. Widened steel rims, you can see the welds! This was a common approach to achieve wide wheels for racing at the time in NZ. The welds were not allowed to be dressed or machined so the scrutineers could (visually) check the quality of the welding.

Cheers

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Great Idea

Imagine how easy it is to swap sprockets for the different tracks - longer legs done really quickly!

Ian

This car started its competition life as a single seater around 1960 and ran in races against name's like Jack Brabham, Bruce Mclaren,David Piper,Ian Burgess in Coopers -Lotus ferraris etc. On its spare weekends it would terrorise local gravel hillclimbs with a set of 'chevron ' ground grip tyres fitted to the rear. Converted to a sports car as Russ mentioned around 1964. One feature of the car that has always intrigued me is the lower wishbone where it attaches to the rear upright. It has about 2" ground clearance and if you ever had a rear puncture where you stop is where you stay until it is replaced.

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Great Idea

Imagine how easy it is to swap sprockets for the different tracks - longer legs done really quickly!

Ian

Although I don't think they actually did that. There was no need as it was fast enough anyway!

In the early 70's a group of my friends with sportsracing cars rented a 40x30 garage for their cars here in Christchurch. There too, was John Monehan, by then owner of the Stanton Corvette. I never recall him having alternative sprockets or changing them, although I could be wrong.

Unfortunately the car had a somewhat chequered history in John's hands and when MANZ decided that for 1973/4 the NZ Sports Car Championship should be limited to 2 litre, 2 valve engines that meant the end in NZ for big banger sports cars like the Stanton, Elfin and Gemco.

The rationale behind that decision was that there was not enough money in NZ to support both V8 Sportscars and the new F5000. In reality, only Gary Pedersen, owner/builder of the Championship winning Gemco made the step into F5000. So the big sportscar class was destroyed with no real gain. Pity, as the battles between the Gemco and the Elfin were a real crowd pleaser.

Cheers

Back