Streets of Willow Springs April 14-15 2007

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
STREETS OF WILLOW APRIL 14, 15 2007

The Los Angeles Shelby Club is hosting April 14-15 Weekend at the Streets of Willow. This is a 2 day event that is about as reasonable a track fee as you will get. The cost for the weekend is $175 for non members and the variety of cars ranges from some of the vintage GT350 racers, Cobra's, Sunbeam Tigers, 5 Oh mustangs, WRX, Vetts, Super 7's, Old Yeller, you just never know. I have not seen a GT40 yet, someone might try to beat me to the event ;). I will be taking the Mustang Fastback. It is a really good easy event on your car. They have several instructors also capable of helping with learning the track and giving pointers. I have done it with this group a bunch of times and it always seems like you have more track time then you could want in 2 days.

Here is the link to the flier -

http://www.lasaac.org/club/Open_Track_Appl_2007_Apr.pdf

If anyone has questions give me a holler or one of the fellows listed in the flier. This is one of the easiest going groups you will find at a track and very helpful as well for newcomers!

If you want a taste of the track the video I posted a bit ago here will be what you would be driving. Ignore bad driving in video :)

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/video-pictures-buffet/20615-65-mustang-streets-willow.html

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Lynn -

The field is looking like about 25 cars so far. So you can come out and have a pretty open track to have your fun...

sandy

Keith

Wow! Straight off the trailer and hurled into Turn 1 at max velocity! You sure don't waste time with warm-up/sighting laps do you! :D

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Not a chance the GT40 will be ready. Lot's of stuff to do. Really makes you appreciate the work that the scratch builders are doing. I got a good jump start from Fran's guys, but still a $hit load of work...

I'm bringing old-reliable the 65 Mustang Fastback. I might change the oil before the run, but that will be time permitting. My thinking is that their is a good chance any time I take the car out that the engine could blow and why waste the new oil :D

And I would be doing the bleach burnout before the track, that's a given.

Back on track, this is a good event if any 40'ers are in the area.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Wow! Straight off the trailer and hurled into Turn 1 at max velocity! You sure don't waste time with warm-up/sighting laps do you! :D

I finally got it (the video), the car was hot from a previous run, but can't say I have been really nice to that motor, will see how long it going to last...

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Great event, have more mustang (sorry no GT40 yet) video coming soon. Had to winch up on my trailer a 3 month old 430 Ferrari which had a rear wheel come off in a turn (minor body damage), and for run my favorite car (besides mine) was a Datsun 260z that was beat looking street stock looking, but hauled a$$, sounded like a built V8 then after peeping under the hood to see a straight 6 with the datsun 240 SU carbs and point ignition on it was amazed how well it moved. Total cars were about 40, and the variety showed from a Yarus to the 3 legged Ferrari. The 'Z' finally bit the dust as 2 days of being hammered took its toll on the harmonic balancer which also drives the belts, it separated from the crank and went its own way.

While being pissed off that the prancing horse had to be shot and yanked off the course at a 1 hour loss of time, I watch everyone grab torque wrenches and check the lugs. But not me, as a fate tempter I left them be... But I didn't go unscathed! First run back on the track it seem to a bit like rain, but hmm, looks like it's coming from under my hood. Yep, figured something in the cooling system blew. Pulled in popped the hood, and yes, fate did it's job, my radiator cap was not properly fastened. Operator error. And that was the major glitch for the mission.

I did make a few Porsche drivers nervous, but let a 289 FIA Cobra replica spank me as I got confused when a corner worker was waving some odd colored flags at me (no not black), that was enough for him to squeaked by and I stuck a cone under the wheel, then session ended. Good fun.

Excellent event, 2 days of track time $175, and lots of fun.

Sandy

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sandy,

These videos are always interesting to watch. When are you going to post some of the RCR?:pepper:

Cheers

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Sandy - that gearbox is not shifting well, is that 2nd gear it doesn't want to go into on the downshift? Motor sounds fantastic.Your a friendly guy waving at all the cars as you pass, great stuff.
Ross

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, Gear box doesn't like to shift at Highish' RPM's. You have to muscle it a lot more that you should and you don't have a good feeling about it sometimes. It is a Tremec TKO 5 speed (3550) and great for power capacity, but not for shifting. I have a replacement 4 speed Tex Trans T101A straight cut gear box that I will replace it with when the motor has to come out. The other problem is the TKO is a bit large for the mustang and you get a bad vibration from the drive shaft angle that can only be corrected by cutting the trans tunnel. The 4 speed will fix all that...hopefully :).

Thanks

Sandy

Back