First RCR40 on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron McCall

Supporter
Well,it finally happened!! I have 4 miles on the odometer! I'm so excited I han hardly type.I just made a few short "shake down" runs tonight.Tomorrow
I need to get a timing light on the engine and go over all of the bolts before I put any more miles on it.Everything went very smoothly.I need to adjust the brakes,suspension,clutch ,valvetrain,etc.....One thing I was worried about with the aluminum chassis was heat transfer through the tunnel from the coolant tubes.This does not seem to be a problem at all! driving with the cover ,above the foot box, off does!! The air from the radiator blows directly in on your feet! I warmed the car up and drove it 2 miles,when i got back,I noticed the temp was about 200deg.I remembered that I unplugged the hard wired fan so I turned on the aux fan and within 2 mins the temp was 180.I turned off the aux fan and plugged in the primary fan and went for another drive.(car idled for about 10 mins) When I got back,the temp was steady on 180deg. It looks like my electric pump set up works pretty well under cruising conditions.In May,we'll see how it does on the track!!!

Later

May I be the first to congratulate you on being the first (I believe) RCR to drive under its own power. Now wipe that big ass smile off you face and get back at it. :)

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Way to go Ron! I too am looking forward to the video and wish you nothing but tweaks on your shake-down drives.

Ron--Great news! You have done a fantastic job on that car. Thanks for paving the way for the rest of us. Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing more about the shakedown. By the way, I was able to pick up that Fiero cable. Thanks for the tip. Take care and good luck. Vaughn

Ron,

Glad to hear you have finally put your RCR on the road. When I was out to your place several months ago, I remember that the roads were winding and hilly - how did your car handle on all the curves and hills?

John

:pepper:

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
It's already been said multiple times... but still need to chime in to say "congratulations my friend".
You have done a very impressive job in build quality and at an amazing pace. You are truly one motivated and skilled gear head.....:D

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Ron. I'd offer to shoot the video but I'd be concerned that it would end up the way of the still photo's. How far in advance do I need to book my ride?

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Well done Ron, super build. There is NOTHING like the first drive of a car that you built with your own hands!

Well done and enjoy.

Bill.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
AWESOME news!!!!

I'm about a year behind you! :) But I'm in the game!!! :D

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Two thumbs up, Ron.

Your build has been an inspiration, not to mention a much needed breath of fresh air during the dark days following the collapse of RF. We're all thrilled for you (even those who are marvelously close to getting their car on the road).

Now how about that video? :)

Best,

T.

Back