Racing at Winton

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I've been keeping a low profile after hearing I come across as pompous but you've sussed me out Chris.Can't really hide from the Natsoft results can you.Jim where did you see a Ross Noble? I can't explain that at all, but I was at Winton for round 2 of the VMRC last weekend.
Here's the wrap up from the weekend=

Got up at 4am on Saturday morning and headed off on the 3 hour drive north of Melbourne to Winton Raceway.Winton is a short tight circuit and I hadn't driven there for at least 2 years.
The format for the weekend was practice and qualifying followed by 1 race on Sat, then an 8 lap race Sun morning followed by a 10 lap and 6 lap race in the afternoon. The weather was excellent and sunny both days.
Onto the track for practice and I was confronted with smoke filling the cabin.At first I put this down to a tyre rubbing but in hindsight I should have known it wasn't as it didn't smell like rubber.Anyway I should have come in to check but I stayed out till the end of the session.Back at the pits I found oil all over the cockpit floor and when I opened the rear clip it was obvious it was coming from the filter area.My first thoughts were "wow how lucky am I" the smoke was from oil on the hot headers and how lucky there was no fire. maybe the ceramic coated headers saved my bacon.OK that oil leak was my own stupid fault from overtightening the filter and I must stress to anyone who fits a new filter, do it by hand and after the seal meets metal a further 2/3rds of a turn is all that's required.
Had to go to town to buy a new filter and I managed to fit this and all the oil clean up before the start of qualifying.
Qualifying went off without drama and I was happy the drama seemed over.My time wasn't too good at 1 min 35sec putting me in 11th place but I was pretty sure I could better that in the race.
Race 1 got off the line and did an outside pass on the V8 supercar in front, only problem was he got me back at turn 1.This was a pattern for the whole weekend really as I couldn't make any impression on him or the MGBV8 just in front, finished in 8th place.
Race 2 on Sunday 8 laps I jumped the V8 supercar again at the start only to lose it again.I think he was angry with me. Considering he was capable of 1min 31sec lap times he drove fairly erratically and seemed happy to just stay in front of me.
Race 3 on Sunday 10 laps and similar start.2 laps in the oil light came on after some severe cornering and I started watching the oil pressure gauge with a fair amount of anxiety.It was all over the place.Silly me I hadn't put anough oil in to replace what was lost.I figured I could get away with it by backing off the cornering forces, and I trundled through to finish in my now familiar 8th position.
The final race was only 6 laps and after putting in 5 litres of oil I was ready to go out and give it a real go. This time I jumped past the V8 Supercar off the start and really stuck it to him for 2 laps and stayed in front of him.Then on one of the short straights he flew past as if I was standing still.Oh well I thought I gave it a go and did set my fastest lap for the weekend 1min 34sec.
Chris I reckon I could have driven better and possibly taken another second or so off, but my 450hp is not enough on this circuit as the Tr8s,Cobra and V8 supercars showed. I believe both TR8's have 600hp and the Cobra has a 351w motor and he blows me off for power too easily.The V8 super cars we know to have 600hp which only leaves the MGBV8 ahead of me by a second or so.I had him behind me at Calder by about the same so the difference is in my driving and handling of my car.I felt I was going well in the last race though.I think what I'm saying here is I have a power problem. Next round at Sandown in early May.
Sorry if any of this came across as pompous.
Ross

Hearing reports from the inside, from people having a go, is always good reading. Thanks for your frank account, Ross.
I see you as fiery sometimes in your replies on this forum, but not pompous.
Dalton

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The race reports are really interesting Ross and make good reading keep them coming please.
As for keeping a low profile, cut that out,who can I have a go at if you're not around?;)

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Here are the pics Paolo.Pete you know you can have a go at me any time. I'm just going to bury my head and get this car to go fast and get up the front, well try anyway.One of these photos shows a start at turn 1 where the V8 Supercar is about to get me back.Great shot and a friend from the Lotus club took them unbeknown to me.I told you the weather was perfect and even the South Australians couldn't complain about Victoria's weather for a change.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 306
Back