Slam Catches for rear clip

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Does anybody sell these as a retrofit for older cars? MY GTD uses Dzus fasteners and I would like to improve on them.

I would like either a set of slam catches (like on the attached CAV—both the frame and clip portions), or possibly the protruding hood-pin style (less desirable to me).

I have considered also adding a plunger-type pin (Bill Bayard's car) as added security, considering the posts I've read on slam catch failures.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 35678-engine.jpg
    35678-engine.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 731

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
What's wrong with the originals ?
You could also fit a couple of original Protex fasteners to be sure.

Attachments

• REAR SLAM CATCHES.jpg
    REAR SLAM CATCHES.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 749
  • CLIPS.jpg
    CLIPS.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 731

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Simon, I did consider those but find them a bit too visually dominant.

James, perhaps you could direct me to a local GT40 replacement parts depot? My local Ford dealer just looked at me funny when I asked for those. :) Yes, those are what I am looking for, although I will obviously accept far less.

Thanks guys. I still need help.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,
I understand that the early Austin Mini slam catches are very close to the excellent ERA solution (other's opinion) but those in the photo are from the Ford parts bin so a bit of detective work is necessary.
I will give it a go.

Last edited:

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks James, much appreciated.

I must say that one of the aspects of these cars that I enjoy is the searching and innovating that needs to be done to solve problems and improve them. It's not just a matter (thankfully) of throwing money and having everything work out.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
James, you are awesome! Thanks for both of those posts. Since I'm not craving exactness as much, the later post looks like what I will go with. The brackets should be easy enough to fab up.

Again, many thanks! :)

Back