Shock News. "RCR exceeds expectations!!"

As a (critical) engineer with some racing experience I went along today to see RCR's monocoque. Unless you've got an "anti" thing about monos' (some of the recent posts Aaaarrrrgghhh!) and you want to handle some big horses then the RCR should be on everyones shortlist. It is an elegant (and in the best possible way) even an over engineered product for the job in hand. The detailed design work and high quality of workmanship ensure that it is also a joy to behold. There is a thread elsewhere about designing a GT40 for today (did'nt Ford just do that??). Your too late guys Fran got there first

I guess many of you who already know the product will not be surprised by my reaction and in fairness I have yet to see a naked CAV chassis. However I thought I would share some of my enthusiasm. Also thanks to Joe T who seemed only too willing to give up a bank holiday morning of his time on a guided tour (those six pot Willwoods are something else)

Can't weight for Detling show.

Fran I'm well impressed.

As a (critical) There is a thread elsewhere about designing a GT40 for today (did'nt Ford just do that??). Your too late guys Fran got there first

I totally agree with you, but the idea was to rebody an exhisting GT 40 replica chassis, with a new shape, and not a complete redesign.

I would never consider designing a new chassis, too many good ones out there......

I believe RCR has an excellent monocoque chassis, and they could be a perfect basis for my new redesign....:)

I think that a modern GT40 replica chassis could handle, a modern sportscar design, if a manufacture ever wanted to do so.

Ciao
Italo

Sorry for thread drift but.......

You cannot recapture a design classic, its like striking a match on a bar of soap it cannot be done. There was a time in the mid 50s through 60s when the schism between racing cars and road cars had not really finalised. It was a time when safety legislation did not really exsist and when purtiy of form went hand in hand with the current knowledge of aerodynamics. It resulted in the most heartachingly beautiful racing cars of all time. GTO Ferrari, Maserati 250F, Maserati 300S, C and D type Jaguars, Aston Martin DBR1, Ford GT40, streamlined Mercedes W196, Gull Winged 300SL (ally bodied), to name but a few. Their shapes spun off into some lovely road cars, GT40, E type Jag etc. For sure there were some awesome looking racing cars after this which I find equally exiting but I would'nt use terms like beautiful or elegant to describe them.

That is why cars like the RCR 40 work for me, you still get the classic design, you still get the "no driver aids" one on one feel but you also benefit from the reliability of modern engineering.

By the way Tazio Nuvolari is my all time favourite driver.

Best wishes on whatever road you take

John

Back