Your Location

Ron Earp

Admin
Dear Members,

the user location is now shown again on your posts, as long as you have a location filled out in your User Profile (see your User CP on the menu bar). But, due to a mis-translation in forum software a long time ago many of the user fields with location incorrectly have info like Occupation, or Type of GT40 in them.

This post is an appeal to members to have a look at their User CP and update their Location to reflect your home town, country, or continent. That information is useful when making replies to other members on a worldwide forum like we have here at GT40s.com.

Thanks!
Ron

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I just surfed into my user CP to update my location information. It seems the field is limited to 15 spaces. Is there any way this could be expanded?

In my case, there's not enough space to adequately list the "new" location information and now I'm unable to relist my previous location b/c of the space limitations.

Thanks!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Doug,

We had to limit the number of spaces due to display limitations. If I expand the field to 50 spaces, and then people use it all, it will use a lot of space in the side bar area. I can look into a few more but it'll never be sentence size or anything like that.

I'd like for the actual field, and the displayed characters, to be the same so nothing gets chopped off. If I give you 100, but the forum is going to display 20, that doesn't do much good I don't think.

Ron

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the explanation, Ron. I assure you I understand the space limitation issues.

I'll work within the 15 spaces to be more creative. No worries!!

Am I correct in assuming that those whose current location notations exceed 15 spaces can maintain that information, or will the new forum software eventually cut off everything past 15? Just curious.

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
Am I correct in assuming that those whose current location notations exceed 15 spaces can maintain that information, or will the new forum software eventually cut off everything past 15? Just curious.
Doug

Unfortunately the software won't automatically purge it, at least that I have figured out how to do. But I will be doing it by hand when I see them. :shrug:

It'd be much preferred if users would simply edit their location fields.

Ron

Back