zf transaxle on Ebay

I have a friend, an Incredible custom car builder, that showed me a GT40 after my "baby" a full custom corvette I worked on and loved for 20 years, was recently stolen. Needless to say I fell in love, there is no other car for me. Not knowing much about these cars my friend bought me a zf 5ds-25 transaxle thinking that would be the hardest part to find. After he bought the transaxle I found a local dealer for the gt40 from astralia I believe a drb. Any way it uses a g50 transaxle, so I am trying to sell the zf on ebay, but can not answer Questions if it is an -0 -1 -2 and what year it is. I took pictures of the #s i could find but that does not seem to be enough. lots of calls with the same ?s. My friend said if any one knows the answer, the guys on the gt40 forum would know. but he was chicken to ask, he says he doesnt know much about gt40s and would feel like he was asking a dumb question. Also is this Zf worth anything or did he just throw his money away? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks Debi:dead:

I am sure that if it is a ZF then it is junk and you are much better sending it to me.........

Just kidding. I know nothing about that specific transaxle (e.g. -25) but there are plenty on this forum that do. In addition, there are multiple other manufactures that sell GT40 replicas including a few located here in the US. I recommend searching about kits on the forum. A few manuf you will quickly see a lot of chatter about are RCR 40, Superformance, and CAV. There are many others as well including MDA, Tornado (sp?), Turn Ten (I think they are new), and a bunch more that I cannot remember. If it were me I would not dump the ZF yet until I really figured out which car I was going to buy.

Just my opinion

Kevin

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Kevin is right. The conventional wisdom on this forum seems to be that one chooses their transaxle first and then researches manufacturers to find one that supports that transaxle.

Many manufacturers support multiple transaxles; a few support only one. In particular, I think ERA supports only the ZF.

Your friend was right. Finding a ZF is difficult, and if you need to order one from one of the current refurbishing companies there is a long wait.

If your DRB will not support the ZF, you'll have to switch to the Porsche G50.

I'd suggest you use the search function, but be aware that there are MANY threads that have had ZF's mentioned in them--you could come up with thousands of hits. I know there was a forum thread in which all those numbers were discussed, probably in the drivetrain board.

Perhaps a better option might be to search Lynn's "Links" link at the top of the forum home page. Lynn has done an incredible job of accumilating information regarding many aspects related to GT40's, and I notice Transaxles are listed in the index.

Good luck and welcome to the show!!!!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm sure if you posted some pictures and serial numbers here someone could ID that transaxle for you.

Ron

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, if it is the one on ebay right now it does not have an identification plate. All the info is stamped into the case.

Back