Hi, any body hit 200mph on the track,?

car
Hi, I would like to know the top speed that you guys manage when using your cars on the track,

I am interested in going over 200mph in my car, just wondered if you can give me any sensible advise please:mad:

Thanks samantha

Here are some questions for you:

What car do you plan to use?

Where are you going to perform this?

Have you ever raced a car near those speeds?

How many years racing experience do you have?

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If when you say track you mean road circuit, I don't think there is a track in Australia or the U.K. with a straight long enough. You need Le Mans or an airport runway.
What car do you have, and how much H.P.?

Last edited:
Hi the car is a T70 spyder trying to upload some more pictures, Hp 620 vai LS7 chevrolet & kinsler induction, with 560lb torque, runing through a porsche GT2 transmition,
weight 930kg.

hits 100 in around 6 seconds & will do around 210 tops, at 7,200rpm

experience 3 years on track, no racing experience. the car is still being set up & will preveiw at goodwood on May the 17th.
Regards
Samantha

I'm going to give it a fighting chance. The tires are an issue but there is a difference between sustained speed ratings and a short burst.

Simon,
good luck at the texas mile.
i hope you do your math with your gears before you hit the 3 mile straight at Goliad.
what kind of tires did Dan Gurney and A.J. use at Le Mans?
it would be kinda neat having the first 40 to do 200 from TheTexasMile.

Tommy

Samantha
An open top car like the spyder will have great difficulty making 200MPH because of the aerodynamics. It just isn't smooth enough.

I have AVON race tires that are speed rated to 240MPH, but I don't plan on even trying to get close.

You will need a long straight, approx 2-3 miles long to make the attempt. Even the slightest crosswind is going to cause serious problems with handling at those speeds.

Original GT40 MkII's had serious lift problems when they approached 200MPH at LeMans. If you're serious about this, take the car to a wind tunnel and do some tests to determine if the car is stable. Race teams spend a lot of resources to ensure their cars are safe at high speeds. Just putting a powerful engine in a lightweight car without doing some serious tests is a receipe for disaster. You're life is on the line.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
First off I would only recommend that any speed trials be done on a sanctioned racing surface with the appropriate safety crew in attendance.
That said - I have run 160+ on the R6 in a 3200# car but for any speeds in excess of that I would definately choose only the best (fresh) racing rubber - never a DOT tire..
There are plenty of 15" tires that hold up very well to very heavy cars at 200+ mph. Look no further than the series that many shun - NASCAR Nextel Cup. Every single one of those cars is on 15" Goodyear rubber.

Now - about aerodynamics -
Having "Flown" a Cobra and lived to tell about it - all I can say is you need to take every precaution to keep air from underneath the car. A full air-dam and splitter. Rear spoiler. Since your car is a spyder - take a look at a helmet like the Bell Feuling helmet if you can find one. These helmets have a lot of anti-lift features that are left out of most other helmets.. At a Buck-Fifty in my Cobra, I had a pretty good envelope around me from the short windscreen but the buffeting at the top of the helmet was enough to blur vision.. I could have used a helmet such as the Feuling. I'm not certain that they would work with a Hans device though and I will not race without mine...

Bell Fueling II (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)

BTW - What they say about the world going totally silent when you're airborne in a racecar - They're right... And I still wrestle with that memory from time to time..

Be safe..

the Cobra goes airborne at 160 because of the fish mouth. you should not have any problems with the 40. and there you have it. steel stock car wheels and nascar 15" tires. the straight is 3 miles long at Goliad, so gear down and go for it.

Maybe try the tires they put on the veyron? Assuming they fit, but im sure they cost an arm and a leg.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Samantha,

If you have the right approach and will be having the correct preparation done and given the right venue and conditions I am sure you can do it.

Heed the cautions about aerodynamics and tyres though.

What is the purpose, and venue, for this effort?

Whatever, go for it! And good luck!

Cheers

Samantha, if you are going to Goodwood with this beast I hope you have given good thought to noise levels and silencing, they are very strict. No chance of 200 at Goodwood for anybody. Frank

Back