Looms, wiring and connectors?

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Who has had good luck with what?

For wiring, I understand teflon insulated is the best, followed by irradiated PVC? Any recommendations for good online sources? In the past I've used Waytek for wiring, relays and split loom, but they seem to be moving away from the consumer market and going for the larger commercial accounts.

What about connectors - I've used both Weatherpack and Metri-pack, but I understand Deutsch's quality is superior, and they're even simpler to assemble than the Weatherpack & Metri-pack?

Lastly, has anyone used a custom loom designer/constructor to build their harness?

Ron Earp

Admin
Weatherpak and Metripak are both "GM" style connectors and work well. I have kits for those and they are available from a lot of sources. Even Jegs and Summit have kits with lots of connectors available for these. I like them, fairly easy to use but somewhat bulky. I don't mind the bulk though for what I'm doing as many times I'll use a circuit breaker/fuse with heavy guage wire to handle current instead of a relay (think fans, lights) - bad I know in this modern safe age but it really simplifies the wiring.

The Deutsch connectors are small, easy, and pricey. I think they might be a bit better. I'd definitely use them for the internal wiring where you might need 28 wires to the dash. I just don't have a lot of experience with those types as the few I had were used long ago on a early car.

If you are not comfortable or don't have the time for wiring then a constructor might be a good idea. In fact, I've seen one at work at my neighbor's house doing one of his hot rods. Nice work, very nice and I bet some fellow that specializes in car harnesses might work in your area too.

On the other hand, the harnesses from Painless, EZ Wiring, and others are well-suited for cars. Might have to remove circuits and modify here and there, but they are fairly well done.

I now realize I like wiring and doing the jobs on the various race cars we wrench/build. But, I have to admit the main reason I like it is because it is one of the few things I seem to do well and it works pretty much 100% of the time from the get go. Can't say that about most other things I do with cars...

R

As Ron says, the companys like Painlwess, American Autowire etc. will get you started. I had never wired a car before when I started mine. The weather pack etc. are good ones if you are concerned with wet conditions. I plan to rarely if ever go in the wet, so that is not a concern for me. I have found groups of connectors on ebay for say 59 Cadallacs etc. They all use the same "56" connectors. They come with 6, 4, 3, 2, and 1 connectors. Run about $15 +shipping. Great for making dash disconnects. You will have to find some bigger ones for the starter circuits which use big wires. The "kits" will have them in with evewrything else. Its just when you want to add relays to a starter circuit for say a start button that will need the larger connectors.There will be lots of bags with the different circuits and connectors. Follow the directions. You will have to alter things like steering column connectors. The companys will send you diagrams for how to do it. If you want to add things like relays, there are sites on the web that will educate you about what relays are and how they work. Most will give you diagrams for how to link the relays to get them to do some neat stuff like starter interrupts or automatic door lock openers.
When you start out. lay out the wires, decide where you want the connectors, decide where your wires are going to be routed, hidden secured etc. Mount all the apliances if you haven't done so. Are they in their final resting place? Be sure..... Hook up the dash wires first. Leave the wires from the relays long. Use good terminal strips from Radio Shack etc. to hook up lots of relays etc. Get a small power generator of about 6- 10 amps. Use it to test the circuits seperately. Nothing like100-150 amps surging through a bad circuit to fry many wires next to it.
The last thing you want to do is cut the wires to lenght. So make sure you are happy with how things are laid out. Just take your time. I changed the routing of my wires two or three times til I found the right route for them.
There are lots of other things, but these will get you going, and get your brain to going.

Bill

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Ron & Bill, as luck would have it, as you were replying, I was just down in the garage doing some Weatherpack connectors on my other project.

I think I'll probably stay with a weatherproof style connector in either the Delphi-Packard, or Deutsch brands, as it seems connections are always 85% of any electrical problem. If I go with a quality, environmentally sealed connection from the get-go, hopefully that'll minimise "spooks" down the road.

What are some good sources for teflon wire and other electrical bits? To clarify, I'm concerned more with harnessing the engine and its sensors, injectors, and ignition, in order to interface with the EMS. As Bill mentioned, probably the basis for the rest of the car's wiring could be a Painless or other good, ready made loom.

John,

There are some good sources of wire, crimps and connectors in the uk.
A good starting point is Vehicle Wiring Products
I can point you at others I've used when I get chance to dig out the web addresses.

I tend to use pvc sheathed wire in an appropriately sized black pvc sheath, and use uninsulated crimps where possible with heatshrink over the crimped ends, or clip on shrouds where possible. This looks far more professional imo than the insulated crimps.

For multiway connectors I tend to use what is offered by the automotive suppliers, many of which are not sealed (look at the mini 2.8mm jobs offered by the company above, or the waterproof ones they offer). I do use sealed ones though for lights etc where the connectors are exposed and getting the worst of the weather.

Hope that helps. ;)

Back