Alternator 3? wire connections

After searching the forum and the web, I'm still not sure how to wire my alternator. I have 2 spade terminals marked 1R and 2F and a stud terminal marked R and BAT. The alternator is a Summit Ford item. The best thread I could find on this subject was here.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...r-idiot-lt.html?highlight="alternator+wiring"

Here is a picture of the connections I have. Can anyone tell me where to connect each terminal? I assume it has an internal regulator, but I could well be wrong. Please can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks very much

Attachments

• 100_2282.jpg
    100_2282.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 798

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Lee
The big terminal is the high current feed to the battery.I would fit a high current fuse near the battery (60A) or higher in this lead. In this day and age it is surely internally regulated and one of the spade terminals will be power from ignition switch and the other most likely dash charge light.Doesn't do any harm if you put 12v on any of these terminals to check what's what and you'll work out the terminals if you have an ameter or voltmeter. Hope this helps
Ross

Thanks Guys. Ron that is a good link. Apparently I have a 2G, but the connections look nothing like.
I'll attack it with the voltmeter and a battery and see if I can work out which terminal is which.
Thanks again

Chuck

Supporter
Your pictures illustrates what appears to be a standard GM style "one wire" hookup. The large terminal is the battery hookup. Actually the battery cable will go the starter and then a smaller gauge wire from the alternator to the starter. The "F" terminal could also be connected to the battery/starter connection while the "R" terminal would feed the dash light discharge indicator through a dropping resistor, (approximately 15 ohms across the indicator light terminals, depending upon the current draw of the indicator light) and then to the ignition switch "run" or "on" terminal. It is internally regulated. Although described as a Ford alternator, it does appear to be a simple one wire, internally regulated device. The support brackets provide the ground connection.

To keep it simple, start by just hooking up the main terminal to the battery / starter and see if it works. Worry about the two terminals later.

Fuses or fusible links from both the main power post and the "F" terminal to the batter / starter are a good idea.

And I just got some feedback from Summit. They said

"This should be run as a one wire alternator. One wire off the big terminal, to the battery."

So now you know. If anyone else is interested it is Summit part number SUM-810304, and also available in different colours.

Back