Ross Racing at Phillip Island this weekend

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
It's only been 4 weeks since the last round at Sandown and luckily the car didn't need any major repairs during the interval.New C/V boot fitted and brake light pressure switch (hooray no more problems with that silly micro switch). In the past I've had a problem getting the car on the trailer as the front ride height is so low, and i have been raising the spring platforms just for the trailer ride and resetting them down at the track.I now have made blocks that I can fit by jacking up the car and placing them on top of the front springs on each side.When I get the car off the trailer I'll be able to jack up the front whip the blocks out and lower the car to it's preset ride height. The camera is going in tomorrow night so I hope the video comes out well.It's an awesome track so it should be good.It's the first time at PI for me with the suspension improvements so I'm expecting much better handling than I've had in the past.This track is not kind to poor handling cars.Weather is supposed to be good for Sat and Sunday. The pressure will be on from the moment I hit the track on Sat morning. Qualifying straight away, 1st race Sat Arvo and 2 races on Sunday.
Check Natsoft.com.au for results.
Ross

Malcolm

Supporter
Ross, do you do corner weights? From your comment above about raising and lowering damper platforms corner weights must go out the window each time you do that. Or do you feel that precise corner weight set up doesn't reap benefits on your handling? Proper ride height adjustment on a GTD is normally sufficient, maybe that is sufficient for your car?

Have a good race

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Ross qualified 13th on Saturday
Race 1 finished in 9th place
Race 2 finished in 11th place
Race 3 finished in 9th again & bettered his lap time by almost 2 seconds for the whole weekend.

Well done Ross and good to see you brought it home in all 3 races.

Cheers

Bill

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Guys
It's late sunday night and I finished up today feeling a bit flat.We were under the safety car for 3 laps in the last race and I wasn't happy with my performance during the final few laps.So I got a shock when I fired up my computer and checked Natsoft for the results.That fastest lap in the last race Bill, was my PB for phillip Island 1 min 45.8sec, previous best 1min 46.9 sec so I just have to keep working on it.Eric Bana (the Incredible Hulk) blew up at turn 1 and dropped oil all over the track at turn 1 just before I arrived and I got through but only just.By the way I didn't recognize Eric on Saturday in his beanie hat and dark glasses and he turned to me and and asked if I was Ross Nicol and when I said yes he shakes my hand and says his name,I felt a bit silly but pleased at the same time because I'd played so cool not to recognize him.I took delight today in showing him my real first name is Eric also.
There is good news on the in car video I got nothing on saturday due to my incompetence in driving the camera, but I got both races from today and the video looks good on the camera and should be ok when I get it up for all to see.Captured a GT3 spinning in front of me in the last race, that's a teaser for you.I'll probably do a more extensive race wrap up with the video.
Malcolm I have just purchased a set of scales but as yet not corner weighted the car.
Ross (very tired tonight but trying to stay awake for F1)

Talking of Eric Bana -
After he crashed his car in Targa Tas' this year the official race radio network was full of "Blackhawk Down, Blackhawk Down". :)
Made me laugh anyway. :)

Well done on the PB Ross.
When will we see you on film, and will you still talk to us when you're a Hollywood success?

Tim.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Wrap up for the weekend
Sat morning out of bed at 6.30am very dark and cold, down to the factory to load car on trailer and head to track.Arrive at PI at 9am which is perfect as engines are allowed to be started from this time.Get car into garage 33 and unload the Ute.Off to the officials to do the paper work, scrutineering not required today so plenty of time before qualifying at midday. Move out of garage for qualifying to start from pit lane.Switch on Camera Mmmm is it really on? Did quite a few laps car feels ok but not feeling comfortable with my driving. Qualified 13th.Surprised to find a fastest lap of 1min 47 sec not bad considering it felt a bit pedestrian to me. Not surprised to find nothing on the video tape.Race 1- 4pm, sun very low in the sky and never saw the red lights come on or go off.Just took off after the front guys did. 7 lap race managed to stay in front of a frustrated Maserati driver who I was clearly holding up with my superior grunt.Nothing on the video again. Sunday morning back to the track and friend Rob showed up to crew for me. I had worked out what I was doing wrong with the camera and after tyre pressure checks, fuel top up ( 7 laps uses more than 20 litres of fuel) I was set at the dummy grid for race 2 starting behind the lime green Daytona. This time I could see the lights and started well.I made up quite a few places but lost them during the race.Found the new c/v boot on LH drive shaft split again so work to do to fix before race 3, we now have something on the camera yippee!
Last race 10 laps really set out in race mode. This is the start that's on the forum.Great start nearly got the Ferrari who started 2 rows in front of me (how good does that Ferrari sound when it's wound up!).Driving well and holding position except for GT3 that slipped past.Black Daytona pulls off after MG corner on ist lap.I'm so wound up I can't figure out which gear I'm in on the straight.I recover and no positions lost.Hanging on to the back of the porsche well.Come round lap 2 into turn 1 to see a cloud of blue smoke. All hell breaks loose and Porsche spins, I manage to get past ok.Under the safety car for 3 laps while they clean oil up.Back racing and I count only 8 or so cars in front of me.The Maserati finally got past me 2 laps later and then I gave up a position to the blue GT3 on the last lap (not happy with that) anyway finished the race and got back to the pits feeling a bit flat, but feeling I had definitely driven much better during the first part of the race.Loaded up and drove home in the dark just like I had set out in the dark in the morning.I was surprised when I checked my lap times on the computer that I'd done a 1min 45.8 sec lap in the last race as this is another sec off my best previous time.I have to get down to 1 min 42sec area to be in the hunt and I feel confident the car and myself can do it.Next race back at Sandown 14th and 15th of July.Plenty of work to do in the meantime.
Cheers Ross

Back