Dave Colins RCR MK11 arives in UK

Hi Guys

I just got the first pictures of Dave Colins new RCR MK11 at nicks Gt40 garage up in the Derbyshire hills, courtesy of Nick Dames.

Nick will be assembling Dave's car for him, and taking care of the SVA, I know Dave is a keen MK11 enthusiast and will be adding all those authentic little touches.
Good luck guys see you tomorrow

Regards

Chris.

Attachments

• dave mk 2 1 003.jpg
    dave mk 2 1 003.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,155
  • dave mk 2 1 004.jpg
    dave mk 2 1 004.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dave mk 2 1 009.jpg
    dave mk 2 1 009.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,179
Last edited:
Chris

This is great news, a pro will be sorting out the SVA problems before I start mine! House move still holding things up at present, but soon......

Also Frank Catt I know is looking forward to testing the ZFQ, any updates?

Best - John

Hi John

I will post updates soon on the ZFQ, I am also taking my camera with me tomorrow so will post a few more shots from Nick's garage.
Get on with that house move, I expect to see you in your RCR 40 at the Le Mans Classic next year.

Regards

Chris.

Chris

I look forward to seeing the extra pics. House move, purchaser just pulled out of deal 4 weeks in :)mad: For those of you not English take it from me that are house purchase laws are, to be polite and understating the case, ****ing ridiculous!)

Oh well onwards and upwards, its only time and I shall just have to dream for a few weeks longer.

John

Dave Collins

Supporter
Here are a few pics I took during my visit today to see the car for the first time. I have been lurking around on the site for some time and say thanks to all of you who have inspired me, especially all of you guys who are way ahead in your RCR builds and doing such a great job.

As I would say that my engineering skills are way below those required to build the car to an acceptable quality level, I am pleased to entrust the build to Nick Dames who I am sure will do an excellent job based on what I know about his work to date.

My plans are that the car will be completed "in the spirit" of 1015 in Le Mans 1966 livery (minus the dayglo red panels). Engine is a 331ci engine supplied by Fran mated to a ZF 5 speed.

I will start a build thread once we get a bit of progress in the next few weeks.

The target is to have a good reliable car completed with a few miles on it to take to the 2008 Classic Le Mans.

Thanks to Fran and all his team for all the effort they have put in to get this car to the current stage, once again they have done a great job.

Regards

Dave

Attachments

• GT400806_01_edited.jpg
    GT400806_01_edited.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,052
  • GT400806_02_edited.jpg
    GT400806_02_edited.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,007
  • GT400806_03_edited.jpg
    GT400806_03_edited.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 989
  • GT400806_05_edited.jpg
    GT400806_05_edited.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 997
  • GT400806_06_edited.jpg
    GT400806_06_edited.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 997
  • GT400806_18_edited.jpg
    GT400806_18_edited.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 982
  • GT400806_20_edited.jpg
    GT400806_20_edited.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,017
  • GT400806_21_edited.jpg
    GT400806_21_edited.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 991
  • GT400806_22_edited.jpg
    GT400806_22_edited.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 990
  • GT400806_24_edited.jpg
    GT400806_24_edited.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 982
Hi Dave
Car looks great, look forward to your build thread, I am located in plymouth, i see your in south west uk, where abouts ?. Will be getting my mk 1 rcr in August sometime, cant wait. best of luck with your build, Andy :D

Dave Collins

Supporter
Re: Dave Collins RCR MK11 arives in UK

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the comments, at present what you see is all the work of Fran's team including the Chris Melia rear clip. The build quality appears to be to the normal high RCR standards and very consistent with the other examples I have seen.

I am based in Bath but the car is being built in Derbyshire. I hope to get upto see it in about 10 days, so may have some more to report then.

Good luck with your build, and more especially surviving the next month or so until the car arrives. I found the last couple of months wait the most challenging part of the experience so far.

Regards

Dave

Dave

Any updates on build progress? It would also be most interesting to hear Nick Dames's view of the RCR as I still intend to order my own later this year (even if the house move hasn't happened, a chap's got to get his priorities right;) )

Best

John

Dave Collins

Supporter
John,

There has not been much visible progress to report on yet. Basically the time has been spent going over everything and planning how to attack the build. Also Nick has been completeing other customer work he has had on before being able to dedicate a significant proportion of his time to the build.

It is expected that the transmission will be available shortly, along with a few other components that missed the shipment back in April, to allow a dummy fit of the engine and transmission in the chassis which will allow the bulkhead to be made and MK11 rear clip mounting frame to be fabricated. Following this I expect the body panels will then be correctly mounted.

As soon as there is some visible progress I will start a build thread to show these on.

Obviously Nick will have to make his own comments on the car as I can not put words in his mouth.

I am still pleased with my choice of the RCR product and do not regret the decision I made to go ahead with the car and the decision to get Nick to build it for me.

I should next be making the trip upto Derbyshire in early August, when I hope to be able to share some more news.

Regards

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the update and I look forward to seeing how the build progresses. Certainly I think the RCR is a superb piece of engineering and look forward to starting my own later this year.

On a seperate topic, which gearbox have you decided to fit?

Best, John

Dave Collins

Supporter
Fran - Thanks very much, the intention is to gradually narrow them down from the +2" until the wheels look just right under the rear, it will be interesting to see if this ends up close to the quoted 56" rear track for a MK11. I think after all the careful planning that has been going on you will see some real progress over the next few weeks.

John - I am going with the ZF, which should be arriving via Chris M anytime. Once that is here and the rear track dimension is finalised then we can get some of the final parts from Fran specified and manufactured to the correct dimensions (e.g. driveshafts).

Anyway in exactly 1 years time 11/07/2008 the completed car will be at Le Mans, hopefully along with at least 1 other if not more RCR cars.

Regards

Dave

Back