Engines for Superlight Roadster

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Re: N E W Superlight cars from R.C.R

Hi Fran -

I've been on the road...again...and haven't been able to follow everything that's been going on but the new site looks great. While sitting on the plane and reading R&T I began to wonder about using an Audi V8 in the Superlight Coupe. What do you think? 340 HP, light weight (relatively), more exotic than a Chevy, modern technolology, etc. I'll be in touch ;-)

Dave L

Re: N E W Superlight cars from R.C.R

For my scratch build project, I was thinking about using an Audi V8, but from what I've been finding, there aren't a whole lot of performance parts available if you wanted to do your own performance build. You look at American V8s, Porsches, BMWs ... they all have a good performance part market. Bolt on packages are somewhat readily available for the Audis, but that's all I've found. If you have found otherwise, please let me know!

With free flowing exhaust, you will do better than 340 hp, more in the 380-390 range. Full exhaust and retune on an S4 generates about 300 hp at all 4 wheels, though there is debate as to how much driveline loss there is. It's a great engine, very very compact.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Is this for the roadster or the coupe? For the Roadster I'd stick with the lightest engine possible. I'd go with the SRT4 Neon engine. Turbocharged all aluminum 4 cylinder with a large aftermarket following and 500hp very attainable. Other engines have crossed my mind as well, the Mitsubishi 2.0 turbo used in the Eclipse & Lancer, Audi or VW 1.8 & 2.0 turbo engines, the Chevrolet Ecotech 2.2 supercharged, etc. I'm just a big turbo fan and the ability to adjust boost & therefore power on demand & on the fly is just plain friggin cool!! Now if you wanna go with an 8 cylinder, I know the 5.3 & I think the 6.0 is available in a FWD configuration out of the Impalla SS or Malibu SS. But there's way too much weight there. Lighter is better in this car. As I always say...

LESS WEIGHT = GO FASTER!!!!

EDIT:
Just saw that you said coupe in your first post. My bad...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think the Cadillac Northstar engine would be a great lightweight with a nice v8 snarl...

Nissan SR-20 motor would be another good choice, small (read tiny!!), light (aluminum block+heads), strong, huge aftermarket, readily available (engine came in front drive, and north south configurations). Folks have built them to 600 hp on stock internals. Lots of choices out there. I can't wait!!

No, not the rotary, you'd go deaf in the first 5 minutes. The 2.3 is a 4 cylinder with direct injection, turbo, intercooler, good stuff.

Ron Earp

Admin
Diesel from VW transverse cars. Can make 400 ft lbs and about 180-200 hp in high state of tune and still sip gas.

R

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'd go with Ron on this

And the winner from the VW stable is the Skoda Turbo diesel - said to produce more horses and torques than the 911.

It is also attached to a 6 speed box

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't know about the diesels... I mean certainly the ALMS Audi Diesel is impressive but I'm still having problems with it (in my mind that is) on the street.. These cars demand something that is both throaty yet with the capability to "Snarl" with authority... :) Perhaps the correct configuration / design in an exhaust system would aid that with a diesel but I think that the lower revving and wider spacing of the powerstrokes would still give it away as a tractor engine that's run away from home...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I'm toying with the idea of a Honda VTEC V-6. Just bought a used Accord so equipped and that thing has some strong come on!!

Doug

Bringing this one back from the dead, but I'd recommend looking into the VQ35DE from the Nissan Maxima. Its the same 60-degree V6 that comes in the 350Z with a FWD 6-speed transaxle and helical LSD. The newer 3.7L versions put down about 290 at the wheels in stock G37 Infinities. Gearing won't be a problem either, since 6th tops out at 198mph in the Maxima.

They say a VQ35DE longblock weighs 330lbs with the intake manifold. I'm not sure if thats including accessories and clutch and whatnot, so it may not actually have a weight advantage over a GM LSx motor, but I doubt a transverse LS4 would ever fit.

The SRT-4's engine has an iron block, and is supposedly very heavy (greater than 400lbs with everything on it).

Diesel from VW transverse cars. Can make 400 ft lbs and about 180-200 hp in high state of tune and still sip gas.

R

Bingo! So I'm not the only one then? :)

Stock engine with Superchips modification:

Volkswagen Golf Mk5 TDI
2006 onwards
Engine type : Turbo-Diesel
Engine size : 1968 cm3
Cylinders : 4

Original bhp : 170
Original nm : 350
Original Lb/Ft : 258

BHP increase : 27
NM gain : 77
Lb/Ft gain : 57

New bhp : 197
New nm : 427
New Lb/Ft : 315
In something that weighs 500kg's? With all that torque it should hose the Ariel Atom2 300.

Mated to the VW DSG box that would be proper flappy paddle heaven!

Economy in the Golf itself weighing nearly three times the Roadster:

Fuel Consumption Urban 34.9mpg - 8.1l/100km Extra-urban 52.3mpg - 5.4l/100km Combined 44.1mpg - 6.4l/100km

So what do you reckon the economy would be? :D

I woke up dreaming about this one...

Audi 2 liter direct injection turbo motor hooked to the 6-speed paddle shifted tranny. With bigger turbo, near to 400 hp, and the tranny should stay together in the light weight car. Perfect track car!

Fran you are an incredibly resourceful guy who seems to know everyone and their dog, or anyone who can help for that matter:

Do you know anyone who works for VW/Audi/Seat or indeed VAG?

Back