1088 @ Goodwood Today..

Hi all -

Dropped down to Goodwood today at Frank's request - to photograph the MkII Superformance he and Jeff had been working on and saw a few other nice 40s too. Mick Solis was there with a Southern GT, testing and David Gaskin was there with '1088' too - in it's new livery - Very Nice!!!

Having shot some 300+ images (sad!) - here's a few of 1088 and no doubt Frank will post a few more in due course. (DVD will go in the post tomorrow Frank)....

I've also included a larger version of the last image, should anyone want a larger print...

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_2034.jpg
    IMG_2034.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_2070.jpg
    IMG_2070.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 888

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
I'll second that.......makes an awesome desktop..... I wish I could have been there, I lived in Worthing most of my young life...moved to the states when I was 30...boy I miss Goodwood.

Cheers,

Thanks for coming down yesterday Paul, I hope you enjoyed your run up the Goodwood hill in the Mk2, even though it was being prepared for the Festival of Speed. The excitment for me was being able to drive both P1088 and the Superformance GT40 back to back on the circuit, certainly jumping directly from one to the other shows the differences, and proves development issues we still have, and the fact that the new chassis is as stiff and stable as the original. My thanks to David and Rod Leach for the opportunity to drive both. Frank

Paul

Superb desktop, thanks.

Does anyone know the wheel/tyre set up on the car as pictured?

Still learnin'

Still love the RCR, soon, please make it soon:) .

John

Hello,

This post is a request for clarification on P1088.

The book, GT 40 by Ronnie Spain, lists the last car as P1086, and the newer Safir Cars starting at P1090.

So what is the story on this car?

Thanks in advance for you time and assistance,

I'm sure Frank can fill in some history on this - he worked on it quite a lot last year...

A few more pics of 1088...

Attachments

• IMG_1958sml.jpg
    IMG_1958sml.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_1959sml.jpg
    IMG_1959sml.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_1963sml.jpg
    IMG_1963sml.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_1965sml.jpg
    IMG_1965sml.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_1966sml.jpg
    IMG_1966sml.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 762
Hi John -

No problem re the tyres and the diet, I'm almost there now...

I'm currently 213lbs..(15st 3) and have lost 137lbs since starting on 11/11/06...:pepper:

I'm now looking to end up at about 190lbs (13st8), which will be 2lbs lighter than when I got married some 21 yrs ago, so just 23lbs to go...

One funny thing was trying my race suit on at Silverstone last week. The first time since end of season last year (Longleat) and it was a hoot! I had to tie the belt ends in a knot as I've lost 14" off my waist..:D

A new race suit is now on the cards....

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
A number of years ago I saw 1088 at the DERA test track at Chobham. Brian Wingfield had the car there. As I recall it being told Wingfield had stored enough parts from the 60's that allowed him to make 3 "new" cars with all FAV parts. As a result he put the follow on chassis numbers and 1088 was one of these. I can't vouch for this story but that is as I understand it. Maybe when Ronnie Spain does his next update, these cars will be included if not already in.

The three cars were 1087 1088 and 1089 - I believe the latter has FIA papers and is now quite regularly raced since its purchase just over a year ago - didn't 1087 go to Germany ?

Back