Video from Phillip Island

Great footage Ross, I didnt have the audio on, what did you say when the blue and white Volkswagen lost it in front of you ?

Iain

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Nothing said Iain just frantically tried to pick the dynamic gap as you know in those situations.To be fair did you see the oil fog as we came down to turn 1, Eric Bana had a massive blow up and left an oil slick right across the corner, impossible to avoid it. I thought the Porsche/VW driver did a stellar job saving the tank slapper. We were under the safety car for 3 laps while they cleaned it up and took the Daytona away as well.
Ross

Nice one Ross!rockonsmile

The circuit looks great - lot's of twisties wth enough straight to stretch her legs now and then...

It all looks like slow motion when the b&w spins, but I bet in reality it was over in the blink of an eye - nice avoidance....

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
OK Ross, please take careful note, I am going to say NICE things.;)

Great video, I really thought you had the yellow Fcar at the start but it looked like he squeezed you onto the grass which wouldn't help.
The car sounds really superb and it seems you have it really well balanced.
Now for just a little more grunt and and you will really stick it to those Vdubs with the College education.

What was the in car camera set up you used? It really was excellent.

Thanks for posting much appreciated.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ross,
great video and well done. It is really great to have such an insight into what you are achieving here. You should feel the spirit of the forum with you on track, must be worth a few horsepower! Keep it going.

Dave

AWESOME STUFF ROSS!
Thanks for the major effort involved in getting the footage to us, loved it!
nice stable setup for an in car vid.
All the best in chasing the modern era cars down next time, hope to be able to get along to see one...

cheers

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
MMmmmm the general consensus is positive, that's good.Pete just a JVC DV camera mounted in a fabricated alloy case.It has a .45 wide angle lens on the front.It's clamped to the roll bar and the picture is surprisingly stable. Watching my hands together hanging onto the steering wheel in the corners has highlighted how heavy the steering is and I wonder if this is what sparked Malcolm's thread on steering ratio.Don't know if anyone noticed the crunching going into 2nd but the synchro is gone.As I have said there is nothing wrong with gear changing speed in the ZF as the video proves it works well, apart from the missed gear down the straight
on lap 1.

Ross

Good stuff Ross!! I was wondering why you were using you hands on the steering wheel that way. It usually means there is a lot of force needed. Looks like some steering system changes are in order?

I thoroughly enjoyed that Ross. I always follow your exploits in print, it was great to see you in action, you are working well there. All the best for the future, hope to see more action from the next round.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Excellent video Ross! Nothing more enjoyable then seeing a VW spin for what ever reason :) (An nothing gets broken or anyone hurt that is). Looked like excellent racing, and the track looks great too. BTW the red light on the dash wasn't on enough ;)

Keep the video's coming!

Sandy

Ross, that was great stuff. I must have watched it 20 times. Are you going to make any changes to the car now? Any more video left?
Also just wondering what happened to the Daytona Coupe in the video. Do you know any thing about that car. He seemed to pull on you going down the straight a little.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
BTW the red light on the dash wasn't on enough ;)

Keep the video's coming!

Sandy

Interesting footage Ross. Thanks for posting.

I'm a lo-tech sort of guy:eek:,I thought a red light on the dash indicated the alternator was not charging!

What's the red light for? Powerboost? Like A1GP?:confused:

Cheers,

Back