New Member in the USA

I recently bought a CAV GT-40 and just joined the Club and have a long list of question about the early CAV GTs. Any help would be appreciated. On to the questions:
Where is the fuse block?
Has anyone re-done or replaced the seats? (I'm 6' and I can't seem to get low enough in the seat for a comfortable driving position)
Is there such a thing as an owners handbook for the early CAV cars?
What about a wiring diagram for the early cars?
Where are the jacking points on the car?
That's enough for now. So as not to tie up the Forum, please contact me directly at [email protected]. Again thanks Tony Hess

Ron Earp

Admin
You might want to ask about those in the CAV forum and use the GT40s.com search engine. I know the wiring diagram has been posted before.

Best,
Ron

Hi Tony,

Congratulations on getting a CAV. The first 100 CAV monocoque cars are a good value and have been out long enough that all the tweaks are known. And they are relatively easy to upgrade. Drop me an email with a phone number and I will be glad to give you some ideas for personalizing the car, or start a post in the CAV section with each question.

Pat

Supporter
Welcome Tony,

I think you will really enjoy the car. I've sent you a PM with some information that may help.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Tony, It is really helpful if you have the country, state, and city where you live in your profile. You will find that people will offer to have you over for a chat or offer first hand help if they know that you are in the same area.

It's easy to gain a inch by bolting the seat directly to the floor, my guess is the fuse pannel is up under the dash somewhere, jack on the 2x2 tubing frame or the A- Arms not on the flat bottom panneling.

Welcome to the family, and if you are in N Calif. drop me a line and we'll get together.

Ron Earp

Admin
Fellows, last time Tony was on, according to his public profile, was when he created this thread. He might not have been kidding about contact him off line! :)

Ron

To all,

I should have stated that my CAV is a space frame car not a monocoque. What I am finding is that the SF cars are very different from the mono cars. Sorry 'bout that. I am still looking for info on the SF cars. Thanks.

Tony Hess

Ron Earp

Admin
Your space frame car should be very close to the GTD cars since I think that is essentially what they were built as copies of under agreements. There is a lot of information about those out there and others that could certainly verify that heritage.

Ron

Hi Tony,

The fortunate thing about all the various versions of GT40 reproductions is that they have an ancestral history and the family tree is mostly known. The space frame CAV cars evolved directly from the GTD design. Like Ron says, if you post a question with a picture of your starting point it should be similar to that of other cars with similar recommendations forthcoming.

Although it might not be apparent, all my modifications have been totally focused on making everything on my CAV fit and work 100% as well as on a lowly base model Toyota Corolla. A GT40 that met that standard would be a dream car. I tell everyone to just do little things and make whatever you have feel really good and be fun to drive around on the street.

I really think that a car purchased used is the absolute very best GT40 value in the market, bar none. For 99.9% of car nuts and spectators if it just looks like a GT40, and it is fun to drive on the street, that is all that matters. This is the most bang for the buck.

GTDs have been around for a while and have a good reputation. Likewise CAV space frames are almost the same as GTDs with some features of the CAV mono cars. However, most of the design differences are not apparent and not really important as long as the cars are safe. Regardless, my point is that all the drivability things I am doing to my CAV would also have to be done to almost any particular car anyway. No replica is even close to production car standards in stock form.

A CAV (mono at least) will easily accept a 427 FE engine and ZF trans with only small modifications. However a 351 stroked to 427 will also easily fit, is less costly, and probably is a better engine. I considered both of the above but picked a small block Ford stroked to 342 cu in to save almost 200 lbs and also to have a much lower center of gravity. I intentionally picked an engine that would make peak power around 6,000 rpm and had a very flat wide torque curve from 3,000 to 6,000 for drivability.

My ZF transaxle has a 5th gear ratio so that at 75 mph the engine was only turning 1,900 rpm and the car is very quite at sustained cruising speeds. Whatever transmission and ratios you already have can probably be massaged with a ring and pinion swap to get them into a better street range. Goodyear F1 are excellent for the street because they have the #1 best low road noise rating and the #2 best handling. With the addition of DynaMat insulation in the cabin and engine compartment the sound level inside my car went from 104 to 85 db which is about the same as an older Corvette. The insulation also made the A/C totally adequate even for 120F days in Arizona.

The too forward and cramped driving position in my CAV mono was easy to fix in three steps. What I did may also work for a CAV space frame car.

The seat itself was improved by a series of small adjustments. A drop floor is easy to add as shown in the attached picture. The CAV mono has “tube spacers or standoffs” that support the seat adjustment rails. They can be shortened 1/2” to lower the seat and give the preferred seat back angle. (The adjustment rails can also be eliminated and the seat mounted directly to the floorboard like Howard said.)

Inside the seat bottom, the left and right side 90 degree square edges can be beveled or bent or flattened to 45 degrees which lets the driver sit lower inside the seat bottom frame itself. The seat bottom and seat back padding can easily be replaced with a thinner high density foam to gain another 1/2”. On my car I also raised and widened the sides of the seat about 8 inches. If this was a track only car I would have also raised the edges of the seat for more hip and shoulder support but that makes the car too hard to enter and exit for most people.

I used closed cell foam and did trial and error shaping until it felt right, and then re-upholstered. The tricky part was making it ok for small women and large men. (Or small men and large women not to be sexist.) I went back and forth trying the seat and then shaving the foam thickness a little bit more each time until it felt right for several sizes of test subjects (actually employees who happened to be in the warehouse). The "butt" foam is soft and you sink into the cushion while the side foam does not compress much.

The steer wheel was raised 1 inch by just shorting the bracket under the dash and making a small clearance cutout in the fiberglass under the center mounted tachometer. On mono cars this adjustment lets the driver see more of the gauges through the center of the steering wheel and gets your elbows free and clear of your body.

The stock pedal assembly, which already has fore and aft position holes, was moved an additional 2 inches farther back towards the rear of the car so the driver seat could also be farther back. I am 6’ tall and I keep the seat adjusted back almost touching the engine cover bulkhead.

Overall the seating position feels real secure and DRAMATICALLY change the experience of driving the car. These changes also have other safety advantages. The driver's body is better supported by the sides of the seat. The driver sits farther back in the car away from the dash, windshield, and steering column. The driver's feet are moved farther back behind the line of the front tires. All three changes make for a more comfortable driving position, easier entry and exit, and less venerability in the event of a front end shunt.

Anyway, have fun with your car. If you want more information on any of this stuff, I am glad to help.

Attachments

• CAV - Lowered Floor.jpg
    CAV - Lowered Floor.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 346
  • CAV - Deep Dish Seats.jpg
    CAV - Deep Dish Seats.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 352
  • CAV - Wheel Raised-23.jpg
    CAV - Wheel Raised-23.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
I'm beginning to think that my car is NOT a CAV car but a GTD built under licence. It says GTD built by CAV on the build plate. So I'm guessing that I need to get in touch with a GTD car owner. Am I right or just crazy?!?!:D So I guess I need to talk to a GTD car owner. Anyone out there?? I have alot of questions:confused: and would REALLY appreciate the help.

Ron Earp

Admin
Anyone out there?? I have alot of questions:confused: and would REALLY appreciate the help.

Hi Tony,

Your CAV is one of the tube frame CAVs that was essentially a GTD.

There are lots of us out here and if you have a lot of questions then please ask them - but ask them in the respective forums they belong in. If you have a chassis question, please ask it in the chassis section and so on.

There is a GTD Club section too, and there you can probably meet many of the GTD enthusiasts that you could PM or email.

All you have to do is ask in the technical forums, or use the search engine, and I bet you'll get or find what you are looking for.

Ron

Tony, drop me an email and we'll see what we can do. In ther mean time, check out my build thread, "USA GTD Build", it's back a ways as I have been lazy with updates as of late. However, you should see essentially your style of car under construction, sans all of the bits I am making myself and the transaxle of course.

Brian

Back